Work permit

Getting job in Austria for citizen other than that of EU- nation or EEA citizen, is quite difficult. Job to them are granted only when EU-nationals or EEA citizens are not available. Dependants, spouse or unmarried partners are not permitted to work as a acquired status of an employee, they must obtain their own work permit.

There are four kinds of work permits in Austria:

  • Employment permit (Beschäftigungsbewilligung)
  • Work permit (Arbeitserlaubnis)
  • Certificate of exemption (Befreiungsschein)
  • Freedom of movement (Freizügigkeitsbestätigung)

Documents required for Austria Work Permit

The following documents (if applicable) must be submitted:

  1. Valid and signed passport (passport must be valid for at least three months beyond date of return)
  2. Copies of previous passports
  3. Consular fee: payment must be made in US$ per postal money order, cashier’s check (payable to Embassy of Austria) or cash (exact change only please). Part of the consular fee must be paid at the time of your application and part of the fee has to be paid at the time of the pickup in Austria.
  4. Application form, completed and signed
  5. One recent picture (passport format, colour, front view)
  6. Original or notarized copy of birth certificate including apostille
  7. Original Certificate of Good Conduct/Criminal Record with apostille (available at local police station; not older than three months)
  8. If not U.S. citizen, valid original U.S. residence permit “Green Card” (notarized copy not accepted) or U.S. visa
  9. Proof of health/travel/accident insurance (original letter from insurance company confirming coverage in Austria)
  10. Proof of sufficient financial means (e.g. scholarship, letter of grants, bank statement of last two months, other proof of income)
  11. Proof of lodging in Austria (e.g. lease contract, ownership papers)
  12. Statement of Financial Liability (Haftungserklärung; available only in German) if stay in Austria is sponsored by someone residing in Austria (does not apply to au-pair applicants)

Please note: All foreign documents can only be accepted with an apostille.

In addition to the above documents, the following items must be submitted, too:

  • Employee: work permit (issued by the Austrian Employment Service AMS), statement of salary or income, confirmation letter issued by employer
  • Self-employed: last income tax statement, contract letter, business plan, letter of agreement, etc.
  • Family reasons/reunion: marriage certificate, divorce certificate, death certificate, certificate giving evidence of relationship to another individual; students: original letter of admission to Austrian school or university/college
  • Au-pair: au-pair contract (signed by both au pair and host family), letter of certification (issued by the Austrian Employment Service AMS)

To know more about your Eligibility, please Contact Us  or complete our Free Online Assessment now