Vocational Trainee Student Visa

This visa may be granted to students who work for a shipping company and want to attend programmes of nautical study at Manukau Polytechnic. This visa can also be granted to trainees who are awarded a New Zealand Aid Programme Short- Term Training Award (STTA). To apply for this visa the applicant will need a paid place at Manukau Polytechnic,or evidence of their STTA Award.


  • For the length of the programme of study at Manukau Polytechnic (Nautical students) or
  • The length of the award up to 12 months (New Zealand Aid Programme Short-Term Training Award trainees)

Visa Eligibility:

  • Student who work for a shipping company and want to attend programmes of nautical study at Manukau Polytechnic
  • to trainees who are awarded a New Zealand Aid Programme Short- Term Training Award (STTA).
  • Must meet the character requirements

What does this visa allow for:

  • If they’re working for a shipping company, they can study a nautical programme of study at Manukau Polytechnic.
  • If they’ve been awarded a New Zealand Aid Programme Short-Term Training Award, take up a training placement in a Government agency, private training establishment or tertiary education institute.
  • Work part-time up to 20 hours a week while studying and full-time in the holidays.

Things to note:

  • They can’t include their partner or children in an application for a Vocational Trainee Student Visa. But if they want to bring them along, they’ll be able to apply for visas based on their relationship to them.

Visa conditions:

If an individual is granted this visa, there are certain conditions that are described below that they must meet.

Entry permission – The individual must apply for entry permission when they arrive in New Zealand. They can do this by completing an arrival card, which they’ll be given on the way to New Zealand.

The individual can be refused entry permission if:

  • They do not meet the character requirements
  • Their circumstances have changed since they were granted a visa
  • They refuse to let their photo be taken or to provide their fingerprints or an iris scan when asked to do so.
  • They’re unable to provide evidence of any onward travel or funds required by the conditions of their visa.

Travel – If the individual wants to travel in and out of New Zealand, they must have valid multiple entry travel conditions to return to New Zealand. If they don’t have multiple entry travel conditions and they leave New Zealand, their visa will expire. Their travel conditions will be recorded on their visa label or in their visa letter.

Work – They can work part-time for up to 20 hours a week while they’re doing their training or study. They can work full-time during all scheduled holidays. If they need to do practical work experience as part of a programme of nautical study, they can do this work in addition to the other hours they’re allowed to work.

When they have a job in New Zealand, they have to pay tax on their earnings. They’ll need to have a New Zealand bank account and an IRD number to do this.

They aren’t allowed to be self-employed. They have to work as an employee with an employment agreement and not as an independent contractor. They can’t provide commercial sexual services or operate a business that provides these services.

Study (work visa) – If they’re a nautical student, they can only study nautical programmes of study at the Manukau Polytechnic. They must study full-time unless they have a reasonable excuse for absences and make satisfactory progress on their course.

If they later apply for another Student Visa, they’ll need to provide:

  • A reasonable excuse for any absences from their study
  • Information about their progress on their course.

Visa expiry – They must leave New Zealand before their visa expires.Visa expiry dates are printed on a visa label, or included in a visa letter.

In addition to the above-mentioned conditions, there are other factors and criteria to be taken into consideration.

For more information and eligibility requirement please Contact us or complete the Assessment Form and email us.