Understanding Conjugal Partner VS Spouse for Canada Sponsorship

Understanding Conjugal Partner vs Spouse for Canada Sponsorship

Canada Family Sponsorship program allows you to sponsor your spouse, conjugal partner, and or dependants. Canada offers the same under its family reunification category. Because the country believes and understands the importance of spending your life with your loved ones.

And looking at the past results in the same we can see a huge demand in the same.

However, there is always an issue in understanding conjugal partner vs spouse for Canada sponsorship. But before we dive into it, we must understand the Canadian sponsorship for family.

What is this sponsoring of a spouse, conjugal partner and or dependant?

To sponsor someone you must firstly, become a sponsor. And to do the same you must be:

  • A Canadian citizen, a registered Indian or a permanent resident.
  • Also, you must be 18 years of age or more.
  • But you can not become a sponsor if 
    • You are living outside Canada as a Canadian citizen and do not intend to live in Canada when your sponsee(s) become permanent residents.
    • You can not sponsor if as a sponsor you are living outside Canada.
  • Besides, can prove that you are not getting social assistance from the government of Canada.
    • This does not apply to applicants receiving assistance due to disability.
  • Moreover, can meet the basic needs of the members you are sponsoring.
  • If living outside Quebec, sign an undertaking and a sponsorship agreement.
  • If living in Quebec, meet Quebec’s immigration sponsorship terms.
    • Also, sign an undertaking with the province of Quebec.

As a sponsor who can become your sponsee?

As a sponsor, you can sponsor your spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner, or dependent children.

Understanding conjugal partner vs spouse for Canada sponsorship. The details of the same are the following:

A spouse refers to your legally married partner. It can be of the other sex or the same. But your marital status must be:

  • With a partner who is 18 years of age or above.
  • Marriage must have been legally done in Canada, or
  • If outside Canada marriage must be legally recognised in the country where it took place (including both same and opposite-sex marriages).

Further, in matters of a conjugal relationship Canada understands that:

  • A conjugal partner is of the same or opposite sex.
  • Is living outside Canada.
  • Is in a relationship with the Canadian sponsor for a minimum period of 1 year, and
  • Could not live with the sponsor because of reasons such as but not limited to immigration issues, religious turmoil, or sexual orientation.

Besides, you can sponsor a conjugal partner if you:

  • Can show the depth of your relationship with the partner. This does not limit to a physical relationship. But requires the proof of inter-dependence, and
  • Have been in a relationship for a minimum of 1 year. But could not marry or live together because of multiple reasons such as persecution, religious faith, immigration barriers, sexual orientation etc.

In addition, to the spouse, or conjugal partner, you can also sponsor your common-law partner.

The following are details of the same:

  • A common-law partner is not legally married to you.
  • Can be of any sex.
  • Must be 18 years or above of age.
  • Is living continuously for a minimum period of 12 months.
    • Also, there must not be a period of gap in the relationship.
    • Any gap should be temporary and short.

Did you know as per the Immigration Levels Target 2020 – 2023, Canada is all set to invite 80,000 spouses or common-law partners or conjugate partners, and or dependents of PR cardholders or Canadian citizens.

To know more on the same click here

After understanding conjugal partner vs spouse for Canada sponsorship, apply now. Get Free Assessment.

Contact Us to know more.

Related Posts