Training visa

The Training visa (subclass 407) is for people who want to come to Australia on a temporary basis to participate in occupational training or professional development.

There are three types of occupational training (nomination eligibility types) covered by this visa:

  • workplace-based training required for registration
  • structured workplace-based training to enhance skills in an eligible occupation
  • training that promotes capacity building overseas.


An individual might be able to get this visa if they:

  • are sponsored (by an approved sponsor of a relevant class) to participate in workplace-based occupational training activities or classroom-based professional development activities
  • are identified in an approved nomination by an Australian organisation (other than a Commonwealth agency)
  • are invited (if the sponsor is a Commonwealth agency)
  • meet the requirements of the visa
  • have functional English language skills, to do the training and meet occupational health and safety standards
  • have a genuine intention to stay temporarily in Australia
  • have adequate financial support for them self and accompanying family members while in Australia
  • have adequate arrangements for health insurance while in Australia
  • meet health and character requirements
  • are at least 18 years of age (except in limited circumstances).

Occupational training required for registration:

This type of occupational training is for people who are required to undertake workplace-based training to obtain registration, membership or licensing in Australia, or their home country, in order to work in their occupation.

Occupational training to enhance skills in an eligible occupation:

This type of occupational training is for people with recent and suitable experience in the nominated occupation, who are seeking to undertake a structured workplace-based training programme in relation to an occupation specified in the Skilled Occupation List (SOL) or the Consolidated Sponsored Occupation List (CSOL).

Occupational training for capacity building overseas:

This type of occupational training includes the following categories:

  • overseas qualification – This category enables students who are currently enrolled in a foreign educational institution and who are required to complete a period of practical training, research or observation to obtain their qualification, the opportunity to undertake up to six months structured workplace-based training in Australia.
  • government support  – This category allows for structured workplace-based occupational training which has the support of a government agency in Australia or the government in the home country of the nominated trainee.
  • professional development  – This category enables overseas employers to send their managerial or professional employees to Australia to undertake a tailored professional development programme of face-to-face teaching in a classroom or similar environment.

Note: Workplace-based occupational training (not including professional development) must be for at least 30 hours a week, of which no more than 30 percent can be classroom-based.

What this visa allows for:

If the individual is outside Australia at the time of grant, this visa allows them to:

  • travel to and enter Australia after their visa is granted
  • remain in Australia during the stay period granted (up to a maximum of 2 years), which begins on the day they first enter Australia, to do the training specified in their visa application
  • travel to and from Australia during the stay period granted.

If they are in Australia at the time of grant, this visa allows them to:

  • remain in Australia during the stay period granted, which begins on the date their visa is granted, to do the training specified in their visa application
  • travel to and from Australia during the stay period granted.

Part-time, classroom-based study that is unrelated to their occupational training may be permitted, provided it does not interfere with their occupational training programme. The unrelated classroom study cannot count towards any component of the training programme and should be listed in their visa application.

Before application:

This is a sponsored visa. Before the individual can apply for this visa, their sponsoring organisation must have applied for or been approved as a sponsor (of a relevant class).

Where their sponsor is not a Commonwealth agency, their sponsoring organisation must nominate them (for approval) to undertake the occupational training programme. Commonwealth agencies, as approved sponsors, do not need to lodge a nomination.

In addition to the above-mentioned conditions, there are other factors and criteria to be taken into consideration.

For more information and eligibility requirement please Contact us or complete the Assessment Form and email us.