The Visitor Visa

The visitor visa allows an individual to enter New Zealand as a visitor to meet family and friends or to explore New Zealand.

Visa Eligibility:

To be considered eligible for this visa an individual must:

  • Meet the health requirements
  • The only purpose is to visit as a tourist
  • Time duration should be up to 9 months in an 18-month period.
  • People from certain countries can travel to New Zealand without applying for a visa first, we call this travelling visa waiver. View Visa Waiver for Visitor Visa to determine eligibility.

What does this visa allow for:

This visa allows an individual to

  • Visit friends and family, explore New Zealand or enjoy amateur sports, or adventure activity.
  • Study for up to 3 months.
  • Include their partner, and dependent children aged 19 and under, in their visa application.

Visa conditions:

If an individual is granted this visa, there are certain conditions that are described below that they must meet:

Entry permission- The individual must apply for entry permission when they arrive in New Zealand. They can do this by completing an arrival card, which they’ll be given on the way to New Zealand.

They individual can be refused entry permission if:

  • They do not meet the character requirements
  • Their circumstances have changed since they were granted a visa
  • They refuse to let their photo be taken or to provide their fingerprints or an iris scan when asked to do so.
  • They’re unable to provide evidence of any onward travel or funds required by the conditions of their visa.


An individual can visit New Zealand as a genuine tourist for up to 9 months in an 18-month period.

  • The 18-month period is calculated backwards from the last day they intend to be in New Zealand.
  • If the last day they’ll be here is 1 December, then their 18-month period will begin on 1 June of the year before.

They can apply for another 3 months’ stay and extend their stay to 12 months in a 24-month period, if:

  • They need more time to complete their tourist itinerary
  • They can’t leave New Zealand for reasons beyond their control
  • They’ve applied for residence for the first time.

To apply for another 3 months’ stay, they must have financially supported themselves and not worked, studied or been sponsored during their stay.

If they’ve recently visited New Zealand for a total of 12 months, they have to remain outside New Zealand for 12 months before they can apply for another Visitor Visa. It is mandatory that the individual leaves New Zealand before their visa expires. Visa expiry dates are printed on a visa label, or included in a visa letter.


If the individual wants to travel in and out of New Zealand, they must have valid multiple entry travel conditions to return to New Zealand. The travel conditions will be explained on their visa label or visa letter.

Onward travel- Unless their visa label or letter says “Return/onward travel not required”, they must have either of the following:

  • A travel ticket to a country they can enter
  • An acceptable sponsor who can pay for their travel ticket out of New Zealand to a country they can enter.

Acceptable Sponsors:

Unless the visa label or letter states “Return/onward travel not required” the individual must have a ticket to leave New Zealand whenever they travel here.

They must have enough money to support themselves while they’re in New Zealand or have a sponsor.
The individual may be asked for evidence if they have enough funds to support themselves when they check in or arrive in New Zealand.


An individual cannot work in New Zealand on this visa.

If they’re coming to New Zealand to take up an offer of employment, they should apply for a Work Visa. If they’re coming to New Zealand for a special purpose, such as a work requirement, or as a partner or family member, they should first consider the Special Category Visitor Visas.

If an individual wants to conduct business while in New Zealand, they should apply for a Business Visitor Visa.


An individual may study for up to 3 months in any 12-month period. School-aged children can study for up to 3 months in any calendar year. Children studying for more than 2 weeks must attend a school that is signatory to the ‘Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students’.

In addition to the above-mentioned conditions, there are other factors and criteria to be taken into consideration.

For more information and eligibility requirement please Contact us or complete the Assessment Form and email us.