The Transit visa (subclass 771) allows an individual and their dependent children transit through Australia for no longer than 72 hours.
The Transit visa allows an individual transit through Australia for no longer than 72 hours if either:
- They need to pass through Australia on your way to another country or
- They need to pass through Australia to join a ship as a member of the crew.
- The health and character requirements must also be met.
Dependent children can be included on the individual’s visa application if they are traveling with them on their passport.
An individual might not need to apply for this visa. Do I need a Transit visa contains more information.
Entering Australia on your way to another country?
- The individual and accompanying family members must hold a confirmed onwards booking to the third country, and the confirmed onwards booking should be within 72 hours of the passenger’s scheduled arrival in Australia and
- Must hold the correct documentation to enter the third country.
Joining a ship as a crew member?
1. The individual and the family members must have valid passports to be granted this visa
2. Must produce tickets or documents establishing arrangements for travel to a destination outside Australia
3. Requires holding a valid Maritime crew visa
4. Needs to have acceptable travel documents such as a seafarer’s identity document
5. Needs to have a statement from the vessel’s local shipping/handling agent.
The following details need to be supplied by the local shipping or handling agent:
- The individual’s name
- The name(s) of the people the individual is replacing
- The name of the company employing the individual
- The name of the ship the individual is joining
- The date of arrival in Australia
- The port and date the individual is expected to join the ship
- If they are not the ship’s owner, a copy of the request for crew from the ship’s agent in Australia. The request should contain the details of the crew members applying for visas.
In addition to the above-mentioned conditions, there are other factors and criteria to be taken into consideration.