Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457)

The Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457)   allows skilled workers to come to Australia and work for an approved business for up to four years.They must be sponsored by an approved business. A business can sponsor someone for this visa if they cannot find an Australian citizen or permanent resident to do the skilled work.

The individual can be in or outside Australia when they lodge their application.

This visa lets a skilled worker travel to Australia to work in their nominated occupation for their approved sponsor for up to four years.


To be considered eligible for this visa an individual must

  • Be nominated to work in an approved occupation on the Skilled Occupation Lists
  • Meet the skill requirements for the nominated occupation
  • Meet registration and licensing obligations
  • Speak vocational English
  • Have been nominated by an approved business.
  • Have been sponsored by an approved business
  • Have the required skills to fill a position nominated by an approved business.

​This visa allows an individual to:

  • Work in Australia for up to four years
  • Bring their family to work or study in Australia
  • Travel in and out of Australia as often as they want.

This is a sponsored visa. Before an individual applies for this visa, their employer must:

  • Become an approved sponsor
  • Nominate them for a position.

The individual can apply for this visa at the same time their employer lodges their applications to sponsor and nominate them.

Approved occupations:

They must work in a skilled occupation that has been approved by the Australian Government.

The list of eligible occupations is available on the Skilled Occupation Lists. This list includes a number (an ANZSCO Code) next to each occupation title.

Skill requirements

The individual needs to show that they have the skills and experience necessary to work in the nominated occupation. The evidence that they can provide is listed in the Document checklist for visa applicants.

If their nominated occupation is a trade occupation, they might need to do a skills assessment. The Trades Recognition Australia website has more information on which occupations require an assessment.

If their nominated occupation is ‘Project and Program Administrator or Specialist Manager not elsewhere classified’, they will need to a skills assessment for migration purposes. The VETASSESS website has more information. They cannot use a VETASSESS skills assessment that they have had for a Skilled General (Temporary) visa (subclass 485) in their application for this visa.

Registration and licensing

If requested by the visa processing case officer, the individual must provide evidence from the relevant Australian registration or licensing authority that they hold, or will be able to meet, the registration or licensing requirements to work in their nominated occupation.

Their approved sponsor should be able to provide them with the necessary licensing and registration information.

In addition to the above-mentioned conditions, there are other factors and criteria to be taken into consideration.

For more information and eligibility requirement please Contact us or complete the Assessment Form and email us.