Canada Study Permit Extension or Status Restoration
As a permit holder depending on your situation, you can get a Canada study permit extension or status restoration. Once your study permit expires, within 90 days of expiration you must apply for a study permit extension.
To extend your study permit, meet the following terms:
Know when to apply
Apply for a study permit extension before 30 days of the expiration date. Also, your passport must be valid. Because the study permit can get an extension up till the validity of the permit holder’s passport.
Besides, if the permit holder applies before the expiry of the permit, the applicant can continue to study as per the terms of the current study permit. This is until IRCC makes a final decision on the application.
If the study permit has already expired
In case the applicant’s study permit has expired then to continue studying in Canada they must:
- Apply for a new study permit, and
- Must apply to restore their status in Canada.
Applying after the expiry of the study permit will not allow the permit holder to continue studying. But they will have to wait till they get a new work permit, and their status is restored.
What to do if your Canadian school is no more on the designated Learning Institution List (DLI)?
If this condition applies to you, then in such a case you can:
- Either continue studying until the study permit expires or transfer to another DLI.
If the permit holder wants to leave Canada before or after applying for an extension, then they can not re-enter the country until:
- Either has a study permit or a letter of introduction proving approval for a study permit and
- DLI is on the approved list of DLI’s and
- Also, have a valid travel document.
Looking for Study Permit Extension or Status Restoration. But how do you apply for a study permit extension?
Apply for study permit extension in 2 easy steps:
- Firstly, apply online.
- Secondly, submit extension fees.
Expiry of study permit
As a study permit holder, one can lose its status if one of the following terms apply to them:
- Before applying to renew the study permit, the permit expired.
- The terms on the study permit are changed such as:
- Designated Learning Institution (DLI)
- Study type
- Place of study
- Duration of study
- Have broken the terms on your study permit.
After losing the status, one can no longer study in Canada unless their status is restored.
Restore Status as a Student
As a permit holder, one can restore their status as a student if they meet terms such as:
- Meet the terms of stay in Canada.
- Are living legally in Canada.
- Have not broken the terms on your study permit.
- To continue studying in Canada the applicant must:
- Apply for a new study permit.
- Apply restore status as a student in Canada
- Pay restoration fees.
After approval, the permit holder will get:
- Study permit sharing the terms of stay in Canada.
- Extension of temporary resident status up till a certain date.
- If permit holders’ family members lose their status, they must apply to restore the same.