The Student Visa(subclass 500) allows the individual to stay in Australia to study full-time in a recognized education institution.
Prior to the application the individual must have:
- applied for and been accepted to study in a registered full-time course at an educational institution in Australia
- organized appropriate welfare arrangements for the duration of the intended stay in Australia if they are under 18 years of age.
With limited exceptions, the individual must be enrolled in a course of study that is registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and courses for Overseas for Overseas Students (CRICOS).
If the person is applying from outside Australia, they must include a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) for each intended course of study along with their visa application. A letter of offer from the education provider will not be accepted.
The individual is required to provide a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) if they are:
- sponsored by the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade – provide a letter of support
- sponsored by the Australian Department of Defence – provide a letter of support
- a secondary exchange student – provide an Acceptance Advice of Secondary Exchange Student (AASES) form
- a postgraduate research student required to remain in Australia for marking of your thesis – provide a letter from your education provider.
If the individual is in Australia, they can apply with a letter of offer or a CoE but they must obtain a CoE to be granted the visa.
An individual can also choose to apply to undertake two or more courses on their Student visa (subclass 500) where there is a clear progression from one course to another. This is known as course packaging.
They will require providing a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) or prove that a CoE is not required for each intended course with their visa application.
The final course that an individual undertakes as part of their package of courses is their main (or principal) course of study. The main course of study will be used to determine the financial and English language evidential requirements.
Students under 18 years of age:
If the individual is under 18 years of age, they will need to have welfare arrangements in place during their stay in Australia
What this visa allows:
This visa allows:
- the Individual to study in a registered full-time course in Australia.
- the eligible family members of the individual can accompany them to Australia.
- the individual and his/her family members to generally work for a specified number of hours.
- the individual to stay in Australia until the completion of the course.
Before filing for application:
Prior to applying for this visa, the individual must possess:
- A letter of acceptance/offer letter stating the acceptance of the individual for a full-time study course at an educational institution in Australia
- organized appropriate welfare arrangements for the duration of your intended stay in Australia if you are under 18 years of age.
How long this visa lasts:
This visa allows the individual to stay in Australia for the duration of the course.
|Duration of course||Duration of visa|
The visa application charges are listed in Fees and charges.
Other charges that needs to be catered to by the individual are the costs of health assessments, police certificates, or any other certificates or tests. The individual is responsible for making the necessary arrangements.
In addition to the above-mentioned conditions, there are other factors and criteria to be taken into consideration.