Student and Trainee Work Visa

An individual who needs to do practical work experience as a part of their study or training can apply and do it in New Zealand. An individual can also apply if they want formal religious training, practical dental or medical training or complete an apprenticeship as a jockey. Depending on their study or training, they’ll need to have an offer of practical work experience, a place on a training program or an apprenticeship.

Visa Eligibility:

  • Practical training should be a requirement as a part of their study.
  • Must meet the character requirements


  • Medical and dental trainees can stay for up to 6 months
  • Students undertaking practical training can stay up to 6 months
  • Religious trainees can stay for up to 36 months at first
  • Apprentice jockeys can stay for up to 4 years. Jockeys must be aged 16 or over.

What does this visa allow for:

This visa allows the individual to

  • Do practical work experience to complete a study or training requirement.
  • Complete a formal religious training programme or apprenticeship as a jockey.
  • Do practical dental or medical training.

Things to note:

  • If they’ll be studying for more than 3 months at a tertiary education institute, they should apply for a student visa instead.
  • The applicant can’t include a partner or dependent children in their visa application, but they can apply for visas based on their relationship to them.

Visa conditions:

If an individual is granted this visa, there are certain conditions that are described below that they must meet

Entry permission – The individual must apply for entry permission when they arrive in New Zealand. They can do this by completing an arrival card, which they’ll be given on the way to New Zealand.

They individual can be refused entry permission if:

  • They do not meet the character requirements
  • Their circumstances have changed since they were granted a visa
  • They refuse to let their photo be taken or to provide their fingerprints or an iris scan when asked to do so.
  • They’re unable to provide evidence of any onward travel or funds required by the conditions of their visa.

Travel – If the individual wants to travel in and out of New Zealand, they must have valid multiple entry travel conditions to return to New Zealand. If they don’t have multiple entry travel conditions and they leave New Zealand, their visa will expire.

Funds or sponsorship – The individual must have enough money to live on while they’re in New Zealand or a sponsor. They may be asked for evidence when they arrive in New Zealand. If they don’t need to provide evidence, it’ll be recorded on their visa label.

Work (Religious trainees) – They can only work for the organisation providing them religious training.

Work (Apprentice jockeys) – They can only work for the New Zealand trainer in the job that was the basis of their visa application. If they want to change trainers, they’ll need to apply for a variation of conditions.

Work (Practical work experience, dental and medical trainees) – They can only work for the education provider or employer doing the practical work experience or training that was the basis of their visa application.

Study – They can study for up to 3 months in any 12-month period. If they want to study for longer than this they’ll need to apply for a student visa.

Visa Expiry – The individual must leave New Zealand before their visa expires.

In addition to the above-mentioned conditions, there are other factors and criteria to be taken into consideration.

For more information and eligibility requirement please Contact us or complete the Assessment Form and email us.