Skilled Workers Overseas

Skilled Workers Overseas

The Skilled Workers Overseas stream of MPNP helps in hiring skilled workers who can live, work, and settle in Manitoba. If you want to apply, then you must show a strong connection to the province. To do so apply under one of the following streams:

  • Manitoba Support – Support of family members or friends.
  • Manitoba Experience – past study experience or work experience
  • Manitoba Invitation – Invitation to Apply from Manitoba.

Terms you must meet to qualify for Skilled Workers Overseas

To qualify, you must get a minimum of 60 points in the 5 factors of this stream. Besides, if you do not have a connection to Manitoba, then you cannot apply through this stream.

Language Skills

Language Skills (Max 25 points)
First Official Language Points
CLB 8 or higher 20
CLB 7 18
CLB 6 16
CLB 5 14
CLB 4 12
CLB 3 or lower 0
Second Official Language Points
CLB 5 or higher (all 4 skills) 5


Applicants whose job falls under NOC C or D must get a minimum of CLB 4 (English) / NCLC 4 (French).


Age Points (Max 10)
18 4
19 6
20 8
21 – 45 10
46 8
47 6
48 4
49 2
50 or older 0


Work Experience

In this factor, your profile gets points as per your work experience in a full time, regular, paid job. Also, you must show proof of job experience gained within 5 years. Further, this job must be a full-time job of 6 months (regular) or longer to qualify.

Work Experience Points (Max 15)
< 1 year 0
1 year 8
2 years 10
3 years 12
4 or more 15

Education Level

Education Qualification Points (Max 25)
Master’s degree or PhD. 25
2 post-secondary programs of min 2 years each 23
1 post-secondary program of min 2 years or more 20
1 one-year post-secondary program 14
Trade Certificate 14
No post-secondary study level 0


You can claim adaptability points as per the type of connection you have with Manitoba. This factor checks your genuine intention to work, live and settle in the province. Also, apply to this stream if you have a strong connection to Manitoba but outside Winnipeg. In such a case you can claim points through the Regional Immigration option under this stream. But you must understand that regional points are an add on and will be considered with the support of any other type of connection.

Adaptability Points (Max 25)
Close relative in Manitoba 20
You have an ITA from MPNP under a recruitment mission or an exploratory visit. 20
Past work experience in Manitoba (Min 6 months) 12
Post-secondary program of 2 or more years in Manitoba 12
1-year post-secondary program in Manitoba 10
Friend/distant relative in Manitoba 10
Regional Immigration 5

How can you show your connection to Manitoba under the MPNP Skilled Workers Overseas program?

As an applicant, you must show that you have a strong connection to the province. You can do this through these three options:

Manitoba Support

In this option, you must have support from a Manitoba resident who is your friend/close-relative/distant-relative. He/She/It will have to review and verify your plan to settle in Manitoba.

To qualify, your supporter must:

  • Prove that they are a resident of Manitoba and have been living/working there for a min of 1 year.
  • Prove that they are a Canadian citizen/permanent resident.
  • Show that they have close ties to you (applicant) and Manitoba.
  • Show proof of successful and permanent settlement of people they have supported earlier.
  • Be able to support your (applicants’) settlement plan.

Close relatives

If you have a close relative in Manitoba, then you must prove your familial relationship with them. Close relatives can support more than one skilled worker if they can prove their ability to do so.

Friends/distant relatives

If you have friends/ distant relatives as a supporter, then their family should not be supporting any MPNP application.

Also, your supporter can not (MPNP will not accept Settlement Plan 2 signed by)

  • Be a paid immigration representative.
  • Be someone who is not your friend/ distant relative.
  • Be an elected Canadian official or their staff member.


Your supporter is your Manitoba connection and you must submit their details for assessment of your profile by MPNP. Also, MPNP is not a sponsorship program as it works as per the demands of the labour market. Thus, you must have the skills to work and benefit the economy of the province.

Family relationships

MPNP considers the following family relationships under MPNP Skilled Workers Overseas:

  • Sister or brother
  • Niece or nephew
  • Aunt or uncle
  • First cousin
  • Parents
  • Grandparents

Manitoba Experience

In this option, you can show your connection to Manitoba as a past temporary foreign worker or international student.


Previous work experience in Manitoba

  • You have previous work experience for a Manitoba employer in a full-time min 6 months job.
  • Show proof of employment – Submit a work permit copy and signed reference letter from your employer.

Past study experience in Manitoba

  • As an international student, you have completed your study/training program from Manitoba recognised institute/university.
  • You must submit – study permits, degree, diploma, and certificate you have received after completing your studies in Manitoba.

Manitoba Invitation

MPNP regularly issues ITA to applicants who meet all the terms of the program. An ITA allows you to apply under ‘Manitoba Invitation’. This option is available for applicants making an exploratory visit or who are a part of a recruitment mission.

Exploratory visits refer to an EOI which an applicant makes to visit and explore Manitoba. MPNP accepts EOI only for a set period.

Recruitment mission refers to MPNP officers travelling overseas to hire skilled workers, often in partnership with Manitoba employers.

General terms that you must meet (subject to change as per MPNP) to take part in missions and visits are:

  • Must be between the age of 25 to 45.
  • Prove that you do not have a strong connection to any other province.
  • Meet all the terms of the MPNP stream.
  • You must have completed a minimum of 1 year of post-secondary studies/training program.
  • Have minimum work experience of 2 years within 5 years. Also, you must get a job in Manitoba in the same field. Besides, if applicable, you must show plans to get a license/certificate to do your job.
  • Submit a settlement plan, to show your intent to live and work in Manitoba.
  • Also, must get a min. of CLB 5 to prove your language skills. For this, you can submit test scores of IELTS/CELPIP/TCF/TEF which are valid for 2 years.