The Skilled-Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 489) is for skilled workers and their families to live, work and study in specified regional areas in Australia for four years.
There are two pathways for this visa:
- The Invited Pathway
- The Extended Stay Pathway – the individual must hold a provisional visa in subclass 475, 487, 495 or 496.
For family members who are included in their visa application (in either visa pathways), they must be a family member of someone who already holds this visa or a provisional visa in subclass 475, 487, 495 or 496.
An individual might be eligible to apply for this visa if invited. When they’re sent a letter of invitation, they must also have:
- Been nominated by an Australian State or Territory government agency or sponsored by an eligible relative living in a designated area
- Sponsored by an eligible relative living in a Designated area of Australia.
- Nominated an occupation that is on the relevant skilled occupations list
- A suitable skills assessment for that occupation
- Not yet turned 50 years of age
- Achieved the score specified in your letter of invitation based on the factors in the points test
- At least competent English
Extended Stay Pathway
You might be eligible to apply for the Extended Stay Pathway if you are the skilled worker who has held one of the following visas and complied with all visa conditions, for at least two years before applying for this visa:
- Provisional Skilled—Independent Regional visa (subclass 495)
- Provisional Skilled—Designated Area Sponsored Provisional visa (subclass 496)
- Provisional Skilled—Regional Sponsored visa (subclass 475)
- Provisional Skilled—Regional Sponsored visa (subclass 487).
They must have never held more than one of the above visas.
Their invitation is based on the claims made in their expression of interest. Their application must achieve at least the score specified in their invitation to apply when assessed against the points test.
What this visa allows for:
This visa allows the individual and their family to:
- Stay in Australia for up to four years
- Live, work and study in a specified regional area of Australia
- Travel in and out of Australia while the visa is valid.
This visa provides a pathway to permanent residence through the Skilled-Regional (Residence) visa (subclass 887).
To be able to apply for this visa, an individual must first submit an expression of interest and then be invited through SkillSelect. If they receive an invitation, they will have 60 days to apply online for the visa. During that time, they cannot change the information in their expression of interest.
To submit a complete expression of interest, they must have competent English language skills and a positive skills assessment for their nominated occupation (or Job Ready program, if applicable).
Their visa application is likely to require extensive supporting documents.
In addition to the above-mentioned conditions, there are other factors and criteria to be taken into consideration.