The Skilled Recognised Graduate visa (subclass 476) allows recent engineering graduates of eligible universities to gain up to 18 months of skilled work experience in occupations. It is a temporary visa.
An individual might be able to get a Skilled — Recognized Graduate visa if:
- they are younger than 31 years of age
- they have completed an eligible engineering qualification from a recognized institution in the past two years
- they have not held a Skilled — Recognized Graduate visa or a Temporary Graduate before (unless they were a dependent family member)
- they can demonstrate their English language ability
- they meet health and character requirements.
An individual may be inside or outside Australia when they apply for this visa however, they must be outside of Australia when the visa is decided unless they are a New Zealand citizen who holds a Special Category visa. A New Zealand citizen who holds a Special Category visa can be in or outside Australia when the visa is decided.
What this visa allows for:
This visa allows the individual and their family stay in Australia for up to 18 months. While in Australia, the individual can:
- enroll in further professional studies
- study to improve their English skills.
If the individual has a ‘No further stay’ condition on their visa, they cannot apply for a new visa while they are in Australia, except in extremely limited circumstances. They must leave Australia no later than the date on which their visa ends.
The required engineering qualifications
In the two years before an individual applies, they must have completed one of the following qualifications in engineering:
- bachelors degree
- masters degree
- doctoral degree
- postgraduate diploma.
The qualification must contain a major sequence of study or specialisation in engineering, such as:
- civil engineering
- structural engineering
- chemical engineering
- environmental engineering
- electrical and electronics engineering
- mechanical, production and plant engineering
- mining and material engineering.
English language ability
If the individual is a citizen of the United Kingdom, Canada, New Zealand, the United States of America or the Republic of Ireland or they hold a valid passport from one of those countries, they are considered to meet the English language requirement for this visa.
Otherwise, they must provide evidence of having achieved the following scores from one of the specified English language tests:
- An overall score of at least 6 with a minimum score of 5 in each of the four components (listening, reading, writing and speaking) in an International English Language Testing System(IELTS) test that has been undertaken in the three years immediately prior to lodging the visa application.
- A score of at least ‘B’ in each of the four test components of an Occupational English Test(OET) test that has been undertaken in the three years immediately prior to lodging the visa application.
- A total score of at least 64 with the following minimum test scores in each of the four test components: 4 for listening, 4 for reading, 14 for writing and 14 for speaking, in a Test of English as a Foreign Language internet-based test (TOEFL iBT) test that has been undertaken in the three years immediately prior to lodging the visa application.
- An overall score of at least 50 with a minimum score of 36 in each of the four components (listening, reading, writing and speaking) in a Pearson Test of English Academic(PTE Academic) test that has been undertaken in the three years immediately prior to lodging the visa application.
- An overall score of at least 169 with a minimum score of 154 in each of the four test components listening, reading, writing and speaking in a Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) test that was undertaken on or after 1 January 2015.
They must complete your English language test before they apply. The score of an IELTS, OET, TOEFL iBT or PTE Academic test must be from a test that they sat no more than three years before they apply. The Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) test must have been undertaken on or after 1 January 2015 and before they apply.
The IELTS has an academic test and a general training test. They need only take the general training test.
The following family members of the individual can apply for this visa to join the individual in Australia after they have been granted this visa:
- the partner (married or de facto)
- both partner’s dependent children
- other dependent relatives.
The individual must have completed their engineering qualification at a recognized educational institution. Study at an institution or college that is affiliated with a recognized institution does not satisfy this requirement.
Washington Accord institutions:
Any institution offering an Engineering qualification accredited under the Washington n Accord is a recognised institution. The Washington Accord is an international agreement among bodies responsible for accrediting engineering degree programmes. It recognizes the substantial equivalency of programmes accredited by those bodies and recommends that graduates of programmes accredited by any of the signatory bodies be recognized by the other bodies as having met the academic requirements for entry to the practice of engineering.
Other recognized institutions:
Alternatively, your engineering qualification must be from one of the following institutions:
- Catholic University of Argentina
- Federal University of Minas Gerais
- Universidad Catolica del Norte Catholic University of Chile—Antofagasta
- University of Chile
- University of Concepcion
- HUT, Helsinki
- RWTH, Aachen
- Technical University of Berlin
- Technical University of Clausthal
- TU Bergakademie Freiberg
- University of Hannover
- University of Miskolc
- Anna University—Chennai
- Baranas Hindu University—Varanasi
- Indian Institute of Science—Bangalore
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
- Indian School of Mines—Dhanbad
- Amir Kabir University of Technology
- University of Tehran
People’s Republic of China
- Beijing Normal University
- Beijing Petroleum University
- Beijing University of Chemical Technology
- Beijing University of Technology (formerly Beijing Polytechnic University)
- China University of Mining and Technology—Beijing
- Guangzhou University
- Shanghai University of Engineering Science
- Shanghai Jiaotong University
- Tongji University
- Tsinghua University
- University of Science and Technology—Beijing
- University of the Philippines
- Wroclaw University of Technology
- TU Kosice
- Lulea University of Technology
- University of Dar es Salaam
In addition to the above-mentioned conditions, there are other factors and criteria to be taken into consideration.