Second or Subsequent Resident Visa

An individual may be eligible for a Second or Subsequent Resident Visa if held a New Zealand Resident Visa that has expired. Eligibility will depend on how long it’s been since the resident visa expired and their commitment to New Zealand before that.

This visa allows to:

  • Live, work, study in New Zealand indefinitely.
  • Include partner, and dependent children aged 24 and under, in the visa application – if you included them in original residence application.

Visa eligibility conditions

  • Entry permission: An individual must apply for entry permission when arrive in New Zealand.
  • Travel: The travel conditions will be granted for the time the conditions would have been valid for.
  • Keep your visa in a valid passport: visa must be in a valid passport if any individual wants to travel in or outside NZ.

In addition to the above-mentioned conditions, there are other factors and criteria to be taken into consideration.

First of all the applicant must meet the following minimum requirements:

  • Must be in good health
  • Must be of good character
  • Must have good English language capabilities
  • Must provide a proof of identity.

If the applicant were eligible for a Permanent Resident Visa when the Resident Visa expired, the travel conditions will be valid for 24 months from the date the visa expired.

If granted this Visa as the partner of a New Zealand citizen, the travel conditions will be valid for 24 months.

If the applicant had any section 49 conditions on the previous Resident Visa, they’ll apply to this visa too.

Section 49 conditions

Sometimes visas are subject to extra conditions under section 49(1) of the Immigration Act 2009. We call these section 49 conditions. For example, if an individual is granted residence under the Skilled Migrant Category a section 49 condition could be that they take up an offer of skilled employment within 3 months of arriving in New Zealand.

There are special provisions for partners of New Zealand citizens, and for residents seconded overseas as part of their New Zealand employment.

For more information and eligibility requirement please Contact us or complete the Assessment Form and email us.