The Remaining Relative visa (subclass 835) is a permanent visa for people who want to live in Australia to be with their only near relatives.
The application must be made in Australia and the individual must be in Australia when the visa is granted.
An individual might be eligible for this visa if:
An individual should not apply for this visa unless they believe they are likely to be successful, as the visa application charge they pay will not usually be refunded if they withdraw their application or it is refused.
What does this visa allow for:
This is a permanent visa. It allows the individual and their family to:
- Stay in Australia indefinitely as an Australian permanent resident
- Apply for Australian citizenship (if they are eligible)
- Travel to and from Australia as a permanent resident for five years from the date the visa is granted – after that time they will need to apply for another visa if they want to return to Australia.
The Australian Government limits the number of Remaining Relative visas it grants each year.
Who is a near relative:
A near relative is the individual or the individual’s partner’s parent (including biological and step-parent), brother, sister, stepbrother or stepsister, child (including stepchild) who has turned 18 years of age and is not a dependent child, or child (including stepchild) who has not yet turned 18 years of age and is not in their or their partner’s daily care and control.
Who is the sponsor:
The sponsor must be the parent, brother, sister, stepbrother or stepsister or one of their partners. They must agree to give support, accommodation and financial assistance for the first two years of residency in Australia. This agreement includes any family members included as applicants in the individuals application.
The sponsor must be 18 years of age or older and one of the following:
- An Australian citizen
- An Australian permanent resident
- An eligible New Zealand citizen .
The sponsor must be settled and usually resident in Australia.
When is an individual not eligible for this visa:
An individual must not apply for this visa if:
- They or their partner have any near relatives, who are usually living outside Australia, or are only living in Australia on a temporary visa, Bridging visa or unlawfully
- Their sponsor (or their partner) was the holder of, or sponsored someone else for, a Remaining Relative visa (subclass 115 or subclass 835), Preferential Family visa (subclass 104) or Family visa (subclass 806).
In addition to the above-mentioned conditions, there are other factors and criteria to be taken into consideration.