Religious Worker Resident Visa

If any individual wants to live in New Zealand permanently and they are already in New Zealand on a valid Religious Worker Work Visa, may be able to apply for residence. They will need to have an offer of continuing work and sponsorship from the religious organisation that’s sponsoring, and 5 years’ religious work experience and training.

This visa allows to:

  • Work, live and study in New Zealand indefinitely.
  • Travel in and out of New Zealand as often for a period of 5 years
  • Continue to doreligious work for the religious organisation that’s sponsoring.
  • Include partner, and dependent children aged 24 and under, in the visa application

Visa conditions

  • Sponsorship: An individual must have an acceptable sponsor for a period of 5 years from the first day as a resident in New Zealand. The applicant must be sponsored by a religious organisation that’s:
    • Registered as a charity
    • Main purpose is to advance religion.
  • Keep visa in a valid passport: visa must be in a valid passport if any individual wants to travel in or outside NZ
  • Age- Must be of 55 years or under
  • Work: For 5 years from the first day as a resident in New Zealand, the applicant can only do the specific religious work, for the specific sponsoring religious organisation, in the specific location detailed in the employment agreement.

In addition to the above-mentioned conditions, there are other factors and criteria to be taken into consideration.

First of all the applicant has to meet the following minimum requirements:

  • Must be in good health
  • Must be of good character
  • Must have good English language capabilities
  • Must be 55 years old or less
  • Must provide a proof of identity

The applicant can only apply for this visa if they’ve already held a valid Religious Worker Work Visa for 3 years or more.

Religious work: Paid or unpaid work that’s in one or more of the following activities:

  • Teaching religious scripture or philosophy
  • Leading religious ceremonies, worship or prayer
  • Ordaining new religious leaders, initiating new members into a religious community, carrying out religious ceremonies
  • Providing spiritual guidance and care.

Acceptable sponsors : A sponsor can be any one of the following:

  • An individual New Zealand citizen
  • An individual New Zealand residence class visa holder – as long as their visa has no section 49 conditions
  • An organisation registered in New Zealand as a company, incorporated society or charitable trust
  • A government agency, including agents and entities like tertiary institutions and school boards of trustees.

Sponsorship Form for Religious Workers INZ 1190

For more information and eligibility requirement please Contact us or complete the Assessment Form and email us.