Refugee Visa (subclass 200)

The Refugee visa (subclass 200) is for an individual who is outside Australia, is living outside their home country and are persecuted in their home country.

To be considered for resettlement in Australia under this visa, they would usually need to be referred by the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) to the Australian Government. This is a permanent visa.


An individual might be able to get this visa if:

  • They are outside Australia
  • They are living outside their home country
  • They are persecuted in their home country.

If a member of the individuals immediate family was granted this visa in the past five years, they can propose the individual for this visa under ‘split family’ provisions. Kindly find more information at Proposing an Immediate Family Member (‘Split Family’).

The individual must be outside Australia when they apply for a Refugee visa (subclass 200). They must also be outside Australia when a visa is granted.

What this visa allows for: –

This permanent residence visa allows an individual to:

  • Stay in Australia indefinitely
  • Work and study in Australia
  • Enroll in Medicare, Australia’s scheme for health-related care and expenses
  • Access certain social security payments
  • Apply for Australian citizenship (after they have lived in Australia for four years)
  • Propose or sponsor family members for permanent residence
  • Attend English language classes.

If they want to travel outside Australia, they will need to get a travel document. After five years, they will need a Resident Return Visa to re-enter Australia.


There are no costs associated with this visa, unless the individual is applying under the Community pilot. The Australian Government pays for:

  • Travel costs to Australia
  • Other costs before they leave for Australia, including medical examinations and cultural orientation

The individual can include the following people in their visa application at the time of lodgement:

  • Their partner (married or de facto)
  • Their or their partner’s dependent children
  • Other dependent relatives.

These family members must meet the requirements for including family members in the application. They could be asked to provide evidence of their relationship with the applicant. This could include marriage certificates, birth certificates, joint bank accounts and other relevant documents.

The individuals family members must be able to show that they meet health and character requirements.

Non-dependent children who want to apply for entry to Australia on humanitarian grounds must apply for this visa separately.

In addition to the above-mentioned conditions, there are other factors and criteria to be taken into consideration.

For more information and eligibility requirement please Contact us or complete the Assessment Form and email us.