Quebec Terms for temporary foreign workers

Quebec Terms for temporary foreign workers

To apply to the Quebec Experience Program (PEQ) the applicant must meet the Quebec terms for temporary foreign workers.

What are the Quebec terms for temporary foreign workers?

To apply, meet the following terms:

  • Be 18 years of age or above and hold a valid passport.
  • Must intend to settle and work in Quebec.
  • Earlier, have stayed in Quebec and met the conditions for the same.
  • Must be legally in Quebec either as a temporary foreign worker or as a part of a Youth Exchange Program.
  • Also, at the time of applying:
    • Currently have a full time, job in NOC 0, A, or B skill level.
    • Earlier held a NOC 0, A, or B skill level job for a minimum period of 24 months within 36 months.
    • Further, a full-time job refers to a minimum of 30 hours of paid work in a week.
  • Have advanced intermediate language skill level in French. Also, submit proof for the same.
    • Must have a minimum 7 language skill level as per thel’Échelle québécoise des niveaux de compétence en français des personnes immigrantes adultes, or equivalent.
  • Must agree to meet the needs of itself and its family members for a minimum of 3 months.
  • The applicant and its family members (spouse of 16 years of age or older and dependent children of 18 years of age or older) must have an attestation of learning about democratic values and the Québec values.

In case an applicant holds a valid Quebec diploma then they can also apply to Quebec Experience Program (PEQ) – Graduate from Quebec.

French Language Skill Level

To qualify as per the Quebec Terms for temporary foreign workers, have a minimum of level 7 or higher proficiency level in French. As per the l’Échelle québécoise des niveaux de compétence en français des personnes immigrantes adultes, or equivalent. Also, the applicant must submit proof of the same. Further, if applicable, the applicant’s accompanying spouse or common-law partner must have a minimum language skill level of 4.

Besides, Quebec accepts the following test results and diplomas as proof of French language skills:

  • Chambre de commerce et d’industrie de Paris Île-de-France (CCIP-IDF) – Test d’évaluation du français adapté pour le Québec (TEFAQ) of the;
  • Centre international d’études pédagogiques (CIEP) – Test de connaissance du français pour le Québec (TCF-Québec) ;
  • CCIP-IDF – Test d’évaluation du français (TEF);
  • CCIP-IDF – Test d’évaluation du français pour le Canada (TEF Canada);
  • CIEP – Test de connaissance du français (TCF); CIEP – Diplôme d’études en langue française (DELF); and
  • CIEP – Diplôme approfondi de langue française (DALF).

Apply for Permanent Selection

If the applicant meets all the above-mentioned terms then it must apply for permanent selection to Quebec. To do so the applicant must submit a complete application with all required supporting documents.

Renewing Temporary Work Permit

After getting a Québec selection certificate (CSQ), if the applicant’s work permit is about to expire or are yet to get a permanent resident visa then they can apply to renew or extend the same.

Applicants who are in the province as skilled workers and have a CSQ do not have to submit a temporary selection application for extending or renewing their work permit. In such a case a Quebec employer does not need a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA).


Who qualifies for an LMIA exemption in Quebec?

CSQ holders can be exempt from LMIA who are:

  • Quebec graduates who:
    • Have a post-graduation work permit (PGWP).
    • Have a valid job offer from Quebec.
  • Temporary workers who want to renew their work permit for the job they are currently holding or extend the validity of their work permit to work with a new employer.
  • Canadian International Experience Program participants in Working Holidays, Young Professionals Internship, Co-op Internship, hold a work permit and want to renew their work permit for a current job or want to extend their work permit for working with a new Quebec employer.

Besides, the applicant’s accompanying spouse or common-law partner can also apply for an open work permit under certain circumstances.