Quebec Skilled Worker [QSW]

Quebec Skilled Worker Program (QSW)

The Quebec Skilled Worker Program is for applicants who want to move to and work permanently in Quebec. So, to do so, the applicants must show an interest in doing the same. Further, if the applicants’ profile meets the needs of the province then they will get an invite to apply for permanent selection. Based on this, the applicants can further apply to IRCC for permanent residence in Canada.


What is the process for applying to the Quebec Skilled Worker Program (QSW)?

Once the applicant qualifies to apply, they must submit an Expression of Interest profile on the Arrima portal. However, an EOI is not a formal application but shows the applicant’s interest in moving to the province to settle and work permanently.

Also, to submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) the applicant must:

  • Firstly, be 18 years of age or more.
  • Secondly, agree to live and work in Quebec.

Besides, an EOI is valid for 12 months from the date it is submitted on the Arrima Portal. So, if you do not get an Invitation for Permanent Selection then your EOI profile will expire. And you will have to create and submit a new EOI.

Apply for Permanent Selection

After submitting an EOI on the Arrima portal, your profile will enter Expression of Interest Bank. From here Quebec as per its economic and labour market needs will select applicants in periodic Quebec Arrima draws. So, applicants who get selected will get an invitation to apply for permanent selection.


What are the terms Quebec considers while inviting an applicant to apply for permanent selection?

Quebec considers the following factors while issuing invitations to qualifying applicants:

Human Capital Factors

  • Age
  • French language skill level
  • Work experience
  • Education level
  • Knowledge of both English and French


Quebec labour market and economic needs

  • Workforce diagnosis. This can be combined with the amount of time spent practising an occupation.
  • Area/Field of training
  • Quebec diploma
  • Professional work experience in Quebec
  • Professional work experience in the rest of Canada
  • Valid job offer (this can be from inside or outside the territory of the metropolitan community of Montréal.


Spouse/Common-law partner terms (if applicable)

  • French language skill level
  • Education level
  • Quebec diploma

Other terms such as

  • Region of destination in Quebec
  • Occupation in practise


All applicants get a score as per the terms above. And are selected based on the overall score in periodic draws. So, qualifying applicants get an invitation from Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration to apply for Quebec permanent selection. And will have 60 days to submit a complete and error-free application with supporting documents to get a CSQ.

Terms Quebec considers while processing an application for permanent selection

While processing applications, the province considers selection factors such as:

  • Training Level
  • Work Experience
  • Age
  • Language Skills – English and French
  • Stay in Quebec and family connection
  • Qualification of the spouse or de facto spouse
  • Valid and permanent job offer from Quebec
  • Number of children accompanying below the age of 22
  • Sufficient funds

Further, if the applicant has a minimum qualifying score as per the above Points Grid for Quebec Skilled Worker Program.

Training Level

The applicant must have a minimum job-ready training level and professional skills. So, it can perform all the job duties of its job profile in the province.


Under this factor, the applicant must have a diploma before applying to this program. In the case of a foreign diploma, it will be assessed as per Quebec’s education system.

To qualify, one must have a minimum of a general diploma or a vocational high school diploma in Quebec.

Quebec Diploma

This refers to:

  • A diploma issued to college secondary students by the Ministère de l’Éducation, de l’Enseignement supérieur (MEES) or by a Québec university.
    • The training must have been done either in Quebec or abroad.


  • An Attestation of Collegial Studies issued by a MEES recognised college. Also, the training must be full-time, 1 year or more, and must have been completed in Québec.

Besides, the following are also considered Quebec diplomas:

  • Canadian diploma
  • Foreign diplomas recognised by Quebec regulatory body as at par with Quebec’s education system. Besides, this does not include a medical diploma.
  • Foreign diploma or training that allows the applicant to practise a regulated profession or trade in Quebec.
  • Training certificate under a Mutual Recognition Arrangement (MRA).
  • Foreign diploma or training that falls under an MRA that allows the applicant to practise a regulated trade in Quebec.

Area of training

This refers to the List of Areas of Training that results in a diploma and is recognised by Quebec. Also, as per the Regular Skilled Worker Program, the applicant will get points as per their diploma in a certain training area.

Work Experience

Recognised Work Experience

The work experience must be:

  • Gained within 5 years before applying to the program.
  • In occupation which is above NOC skill level D.
  • Legally obtained.

Work experience will be considered valid as per the following conditions:

  • Work experience in paid, full-time, or part-time jobs.
  • Full-time or part-time, paid, or unpaid internships which are a part of an apprenticeship, training or specialization recognized by a diploma.
    • Must have been gained 5 years before applying to this program.

Language Skills


Under this factor, the applicant can get a maximum of 16 points whereas the spouse can only get a maximum of 6 points. Also, these points are awarded to applicants who have a minimum of level 7 (advanced intermediate) of the Échelle québécoise des niveaux de compétence en français des personnes immigrantes adultes or level B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. Besides, to prove the same the applicant must submit language test results or diplomas for the same.

Quebec accepts the following French language tests and diplomas:

  • Chambre de commerce et d’industrie de Paris Île-de-France (CCIP-IDF) – Test d’évaluation du français adapté pour le Québec (TEFAQ) of the;
  • Centre international d’études pédagogiques (CIEP) – Test de connaissance du français pour le Québec (TCF-Québec) ;
  • CCIP-IDF – Test d’évaluation du français (TEF);
  • CCIP-IDF – Test d’évaluation du français pour le Canada (TEF Canada);
  • CIEP – Test de connaissance du français (TCF);
  • CIEP – Diplôme d’études en langue française (DELF);
  • CIEP – Diplôme approfondi de langue française (DALF).


Under this factor, the applicant must have Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB) level 5 (intermediate). Also, submit test results for IELTS (International English Language Testing System).

Sufficient Funds

Under this factor, an applicant who wants to move to Quebec must have a minimum of $3,243 to support themselves for the first 3 months. If any family members (spouse or de facto spouse and/or children) are accompanying, you have additional funds to support them during their stay in the province.

Funds required to support the basic needs of the family unit
Family Unit One Adult Two Adult
No Children $3,243 $4,756
1 child (less than 18 years of age) $4,358 $5,328
2 children (less than 18 years) $4,919 $5,750
3 children (less than 18 years) $5,481 $6,173

Besides, under this factor, the applicant must sign a contract to prove that the applicant can meet the needs of itself and their family for the first 3 months.

Job offer from a Quebec employer

Under this factor, a Quebec employer must hire the applicant as a permanent foreign worker based on a valid permanent job offer.


If one meets all the above terms then they can apply to the Quebec Regular Skilled Worker Program. To do the same one must submit an EOI via the Arrima portal. After the EOI profile will be submitted to an Arrima Bank, where it will be scored as per the Quebec Arrima Points Grid.

Once Quebec successfully processes the application as per the above terms, it will give qualifying applicants a Certificat de sélection du Québec (CSQ – Québec Selection Certificate).  Further, this helps them apply to IRCC for permanent residence in Canada.

What to do after getting a CSQ from Quebec

After getting a CSQ, you can do the following:

Apply for Permanent Residence in Canada

After getting approval from Quebec, the foreign applicant must apply for a Canada PR. To do the same the applicant must:

Finally, the Canadian govt will assess the application and if satisfactory will issue a Canada PR visa.

Getting an Open Work Permit

If you get a CSQ and are living outside Canada then you may qualify to apply to the International Mobility Program Plus (IMP+). Applying to the same will get you a Canada Open Work Permit.

Renewing a Canada Work Permit

In case you are living and working in Quebec and would like to continue doing the same then you can renew your Canada work permit. This will help you stay in Quebec while IRCC is processing your Canada PR visa application. Besides, the process of getting the same rests on 2 factors such as:

  • Either you have submitted your Canada PR visa application OR
  • Are yet to apply to IRCC for permanent residency.

If you have submitted your Canada PR visa application

In such a case 2 situations will arise and as per the same you will have to proceed further:

1. Have an acknowledgement receipt for your permanent residency application

  • In this case, you can apply for a Bridging Open Work Permit application.
  • Also, to do the same, you do not need Québec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ).

2. Do not have an acknowledgement receipt

  • In this case, you can apply for an LMIA-exempt employer-specific work permit.
  • Similarly, you do not need Québec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) to do the same.

If you have not submitted your Canada PR visa application

In this case, you can apply to IRCC for an employer-specific work permit.