The Premium Investor stream is by nomination of Austrade on behalf of the Australian government only. The individual must make a complying investment of at least AUD15 million in any of the following options:
- Australian securities exchange listed assets.
- Australian government or semi-government bonds or notes.
- Corporate bonds or notes issued by an Australian exchange listed entity (or wholly owned subsidiary of the Australian listed entity) or investment grade rated Australian corporate bonds or notes rated by an AFS licenced debt rating agency.
- Australian proprietary limited companies.
- Real property in Australia excluding residential property.
- Deferred annuities issued by Australian registered life companies.
- State or territory government approved philanthropic contribution.
Income that they earn from their complying investment in Australia is subject to tax under Australian taxation law.
The individual must also have a genuine and realistic commitment to continue their business and investment activity in Australia after the conclusion of their provisional visa.
They, their partner (spouse or de facto), or both partner combined must have net assets of at least AUD15 million that are legally acquired, unencumbered, and available to be used to make the complying investment in Australia.
Both partners must not have been involved in unacceptable business or investment activities.
The individual, their partner and other family members aged at least 18 must agree not to bring any action against the Commonwealth for any loss relating to their complying investment.