Post Graduation Work Permit

Post Graduation Work Permit

Apply for a Post Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) if:

Besides, an applicant can choose to apply either from inside or outside of Canada.

Terms to apply

An applicant can apply within 180 days of receiving final marks for its study program in Canada. Also, to qualify, the applicant’s study permit must be valid within these 180 days.

In case the study permit is expiring, the applicant can choose to apply for 1 of the following:

  • Apply for a visitor record to increase the period of stay in Canada; or
  • Leave Canada and then apply for a Post Graduation Work Permit (PGWP).

Besides, if the applicant’s study permit expires while it is in Canada then they must apply to restore their status as a student. Because this will qualify them to apply for a PGWP.

Applying for Post Graduation Work Permit (PGWP)

Apply for a PGWP, if you meet terms such as:

  • The study permit is valid.
  • Have a valid visitor record.
  • Have applied to extend the study permit before it expires but a decision is yet to be made.
  • Applied to change the status to a visitor before the study permit expires. But a decision is yet to be made.

Additional terms to meet

  1. Firstly, have completed a study program:
    1. At a designated learning institution.
    2. For a minimum study period of 8 months, and
    3. Have a degree, diploma, or certificate.
  2. Secondly, had full-time status as a student during the period of the study program.
  3. Also, have graduated from 1 of the following:
    1. Public, a post-secondary educational institution such as college, university, trade/technical school, or CEGEP in Quebec.
    2. A Quebec recognised private post-secondary educational institution.
    3. A Quebec recognised private or post-secondary educational institution that offers study programs of 900 hours or more leading to a diplôme d’études professionnelles(DEP) or an attestation de spécialisation professionnelle (ASP).
      1. Besides, if an ESP is less than 900 hours then the applicant can combine with DEP to meet the term.
    4. Under a Canada recognised private education institution which has the permission to award degrees (Associate, Bachelor’s, Master’s, or PhD degree). Also, were enrolled in a program that leads to a degree as authorised by the province.


Who can not apply for a Post Graduation Work Permit (PGWP)?

Do not apply for a Post Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) if:

  • Already have a PGWP.
  • Were studying English or French as a second language.
  • Have taken general interest or self-improvement courses.
  • Took part in Government of Canada Awards Program funded by Global Affairs Canada.
  • Received funding from Global Affairs Canada. Besides, an applicant who has received a study in Canada sponsorship can still apply for a PGWP.
  • Received the Equal Opportunity Scholarship, Canada-Chile.
  • Took part in the Canada-China Scholars’ Exchanges Program.
  • Took part in the Organization of American States Fellowships Program.
  • Have completed a large part of the study program through distance learning.
  • Have completed the study program in Canada at a non-Canadian educational institution.

If the passport is expiring before the PGWP

In case the applicant’s passport is expiring before its PGWP then the applicant can get:

  • A PGWP as per the validity of the passport, or
  • Get instructions to extend the validity of the PGWP.

Special cases

If the applicant belongs to the following groups, then it may qualify to get a PGWP:

Accelerated programs

If the applicant completes its study program earlier than the time of the study program, they may qualify for a PGWP. Also, the validity will be as per the full length of the study program.

Distance Learning

Under this, if the applicant has completed its study program and distance learning only takes less than 50% of the total study program length then it can qualify for a PGWP. Also, the validity will be as per the full length of the study program.

Leave for studies

Canada will not issue a PGWP if the applicant:

  • Has taken unauthorised leave from the study program.
  • Also, does not meet the terms of the study permit.

Transfers between schools

If transferred between designated learning institutions (DLIs)

To qualify for a PGWP, the total period of studies must be a minimum of 8 months to be eligible.


If transferred from a non-DLI to a DLI

To qualify, the applicant must spend at least 8 months at the DLI.


Canadian study programs with an overseas component

In case the study program has an overseas component, then the applicant must earn credit from a Canadian school, to qualify for a PGWP.


Flight school graduates

To qualify for a PGWP, a flight school graduate must meet all the terms listed above, and 1 of the following:

  • At a DLI training centre – have completed a flight training course and have a Canadian commercial pilot’s license
  • have or will be getting an instructor’s rating and a DLI flight training centre is giving a job offer as a flight instructor.


Graduates of certain Quebec schools

Quebec graduates of vocational and professional training programs must meet terms such as:


Must have graduated from a recognized:

  • public secondary school
  • private secondary school
  • private post-secondary school


Degrees, diplomas, and certificates

To qualify, degrees, diplomas and certificates must be issued by the government of Quebec.

These include the following:

  • Public or private secondary schools
    • diplôme d’études professionnelles (DEP) (diploma in vocational studies)
    • attestation de spécialisation professionnelle (ASP) (attestation of vocational specialization)
  • Private post-secondary schools
    • diplôme d’études collégiales (DEC) (diploma in college studies)
    • attestation d’études collégiales (AEC) (attestation of college studies)
Length of Study Program

The applicant’s study program must have been full-time, and for a minimum of 8 months for a diplôme d’études collégiales (DEC) or an attestation d’études collégiales (AEC).

Also, for a (DEP) or an (ASP), the length of the study program must have been a minimum of 900 hours.