PGP Sponsorship program applications closed
Canada stops the intake of applications under the Parents and Grandparents (PGP) Sponsorship Program.
Canada govt as of Jan 1, 2020, has issued temporary instructions to stop the intake of applications until further notice. The immigration department is not accepting permanent resident applications by parents and grandparents of a sponsor. Likewise, permanent residents and Canadian citizens can not sponsor parents and grandparents for Canadian permanent residence.
Marco Mendicino, P.C., M.P. (Minister of Citizenship and Immigration) issued these temporary instructions. As the minister intends to give the immigration department more time. So as to develop a new application intake management process. Furthermore, the minister promises to issue further instructions by April 1, 2020, at the latest. As a result, till the time no new application intake management system is implemented, the department will not accept any applications.
These instructions affect the sponsorship applications/permanent residence applications by sponsors’ parents and or grandparents. It includes applications under the family class paragraphs 117(1)(c) and (d) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (Regulations).
In addition, applications made for sponsorship/permanent residence visas by sponsors’ grandparents and or parents will be returned. As well as, applications made under a humanitarian and compassionate request under subsection 25(1) of the Act from outside Canada, will not be processed.
PGP Sponsorship Program – An overview
So what is Parents and Grandparents (PGP) Sponsorship Program?
Canada govt firmly believes in bringing families together. And understands the need and value of reuniting foreign immigrants in Canada with their family. For this reason, it introduced the PGP Sponsorship program under the Canadian Family Class Sponsorship Program.
In other words, Canadian citizens and permanent residents can sponsor their parent(s) and grandparent(s) through the PGP Sponsorship Program for permanent residence in Canada.
How can you qualify to sponsor in this Canadian Family Class Sponsorship Program?
You can sponsor your parents and grandparents by submitting an interest to sponsor form. If you meet the eligibility criteria, then PGP Sponsorship program will invite you to submit a complete application. If Canada govt accepts your application, then your parents and grandparents can apply for permanent residence in Canada.
When you sponsor you must:
- Provide financial care to them and their dependents.
- Ensure they do not need social assistance from the govt.
Who can sponsor under the Parents and Grandparents sponsorship program (PGP)?
Under PGP, you can sponsor if:
- You are at least 18 years of age or above.
- Are currently living in Canada.
- Are a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident or are registered as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act.
- You as a sponsor have enough money to sponsor the applicant (the person receiving sponsorship). To prove that you must show proof of funds.
How to become a sponsor if you live outside Quebec?
To become a sponsor in such a case you must:
Promise an undertaking
- You need to promise to provide financial assistance to your family members for 20 years. This assistance starts from the day your family members become permanent residents in Canada.
- In case your family members receive provincial social assistance then you must promise to repay Canada govt. This term is valid till the period you must provide them with financial support.
Sign and submit a sponsorship agreement
- You have to provide for the basic needs of the family members you sponsor.
- The person you sponsor must make efforts to support themselves and their family members.
At the time of applying for PGP sponsorship, you must sign and submit a form including undertaking and sponsorship agreement.
Can you sponsor under the Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship Program (PGP) if you are living in Quebec?
Yes, you can sponsor under this program if you are living in Quebec. To do the same you must:
- Meet Quebec’s eligibility criteria for immigration sponsorship.
- The Quebec ministry will also require you to provide proof of income.
- You must sign an undertaking with the province of Quebec.
What are the reasons you cannot apply to the PGP sponsorship program?
The PGP sponsorship program will reject your application if:
- You are less than 18 years of age.
- You do not intend to live in Canada at the time of applying and or post applying for sponsorship of your parents and grandparents.
- At the time of submitting and during the processing of your application, you must be living in Canada.
- Are not, a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or registered with Canada govt as Indian under the Indian Act.
- Are a temporary resident who is either studying, visiting or working in Canada on a visa or a permit.
- You do not have a permanent resident status during the time applying for PGP sponsorship program.
- The program does not consider candidates who have permanent resident status in processing.
- The proof of income you submit proves that you do not have enough funds to sponsor.
You cannot apply if:
- You are in jail, prison, or penitentiary.
- Failed to pay immigration loan, performance bond, alimony or child support.
- In the past, you failed to provide financial assistance to the person you sponsored, as per the signed sponsorship agreement.
- You have declared bankruptcy and the bank has not released you from legal obligations to repay your debts/loans, etc.
- Are receiving social assistance from Canada govt, for reasons other than disability.
- You have a removal order against you, which requires your immediate removal from the country.
- In the past, you were jailed for a violent crime, an offence against a relative, any sexual offence, inside or outside Canada.
Note: The above non-eligibility terms do not apply if you are living in Quebec.
Are you Canada ready?
Planning to apply for a Canada Visa? If not, then why?
Now! Don’t let all this immigration info confuse you?
Now sit back and relax!
We at Global Vision Immigration (GVI), will ensure that you get a quick, safe, and easy Canada visa. We are an CICC licensed company with a high customer satisfaction rate. So do not let complex info and fraud immigration consultants rob you of your precious time and money.
Therefore choose us! Your safe and reliable source, to make your Canada dream come true.
So what are you waiting for?
In short, “Choose your dreams, Choose GVI!“