If an individual has been a resident visa holder for 2 years or more, and can show a commitment to living in New Zealand, can apply for this visa. Once granted, the applicant can live, work in New Zealand permanently and come and go from New Zealand without travel conditions.
This visa allows to:
- Live, work, and study in New Zealand indefinitely.
- Travel to and from New Zealand any time.
- Include partner, and dependent children aged 24 and under, in the application – if included them in the original residence application.
Things to note
- If the applicant wants to travel, their visa will need to be in a valid passport. They may need to apply to transfer the visa to a new passport.
- Non-principal applicants(Anyone included in a visa application who is not the principal applicant, that is, the principal applicant’s partner, the principal applicant’s dependent children, the principal applicant’s partner’s dependent children) can’t apply for permanent residence before the principal applicant(The person we assess against the criteria for a Resident Visa first), unless a non-principal exception applies.
- If unable to acquire this visa, the applicant may be offered an another resident visa or a variation of resident visa travel conditions(Conditions on a visa that allow travel to and from New Zealand, either once or for a certain amount of time). This would give the applicant more time to travel to and from New Zealand as a resident.
If granted a visa, there are conditions that must meet. These visa conditions are described below.
In addition to the above-mentioned conditions, there are other factors and criteria to be taken into consideration.