Pathway Student Visa

An individual can apply to study up to 3 consecutive courses on a single student visa in New Zealand. They will need to have an offer of a place with a Pathway education provider and be able to pay their tuition fees. During their stay, here, they can enjoy New Zealand’s high- quality teaching standards and gain internationally recognised qualifications.

This visa allows an individual to:

  • Study up to 3 courses, one after the other, on a single student visa.
  • Work part-time up to 20 hours a week while studying and full-time in the holidays, depending on their course of study.

Things to note:

  • They can’t include their partner or dependent children in a student visa application, but they can apply for their own visas based on their relationship to them.
  • Pathway Student visas are long enough to complete their qualification plan.
  • They’ll need to meet the pre-requisites for any second and third courses on their study pathway to stay in New Zealand on a Pathway Student Visa.

Visa conditions:

If an individual is granted this visa, there are certain conditions that are described below that they must meet

Entry Permission – The individual must apply for entry permission when they arrive in New Zealand. They can do this by completing an arrival card, which they’ll be given on the way to New Zealand.

They individual can be refused entry permission if:

  • They do not meet the character requirements
  • Their circumstances have changed since they were granted a visa
  • They refuse to let their photo be taken or to provide their fingerprints or an iris scan when asked to do so.
  • They’re unable to provide evidence of any onward travel or funds required by the conditions of their visa.

Travel – If an individual wants to travel in and out of New Zealand, they must have valid multiple entry travel conditions to return to New Zealand. If they’re applying from inside New Zealand, they normally will get a multiple entry travel conditions when their visa is granted. If they do not have multiple entry travel conditions and they leave New Zealand, their visa will expire. Their travel conditions will be recorded on their visa label or in their visa letter.

Onward travel – During the length of their visa, they must have a travel ticket or funds available to buy a ticket to a country they can enter. The funds can be in the form of any of the following:

  • Sufficient funds held in New Zealand to purchase a travel ticket
  • An acceptable form of a financial undertaking by their guarantor
  • Current sponsorship by an acceptable sponsor.

Unless their visa label or letter states “Return/onward travel not required” they must have a ticket to leave New Zealand whenever they travel here.

Funds or sponsorship- They must have enough money to support themselves while they’re in New Zealand or have a sponsor.

They may be asked for evidence of funds when they arrive in New Zealand.

Medical and travel insurance – They must maintain their medical and travel insurance policy while they’re studying in New Zealand, from the time they enroll until their visa expires.

Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) students do not  need to have insurance.

Work – The applicant may be allowed to work part-time for up to 20 hours a week and full-time during all scheduled holidays and/or during the

Work rights for students:

When the student has a job in New Zealand, they have to pay tax on their earnings. They’ll need to have a New Zealand bank account and an IRD number to do this.

They aren’t allowed to be self-employed. They have to work as an employee with an employment agreement and not as an independent contractor. They can’t provide commercial sexual services or operate a business that provides these services.

If they’re applying for a Pathway student visa and the first course of their study pathway gives them work rights, they’ll be allowed to work in New Zealand for the length of their visa.

In addition to the above-mentioned conditions, there are other factors and criteria to be taken into consideration.

For more information and eligibility requirement please Contact us or complete the Assessment Form and email us.