Partner of a New Zealander Resident Visa

If an individual is the partner of a New Zealand citizen or resident, they can apply to live in New Zealand permanently. If granted residence, they can live, work, and study in New Zealand indefinitely.

This visa allows to:

  • Live, work, and study in New Zealand indefinitely.
  • Work in any occupation for any employer in New Zealand.
  • Study in New Zealand.
  • Include dependent children, aged 24 years and under, in the visa application.

Things to note

  • If the individual’s partner’s New Zealand residence is based on their Australian citizenship, Australian permanent residence or resident return visa, they can only apply for this visa if their partner lives in New Zealand.
  • If the individual’s partner is a New Zealand citizen and the two of them have been living together outside of New Zealand for 5 years or more, they may be eligible for a Permanent Resident Visa. Their partner will need to be either overseas when they apply, or have been back in New Zealand for less than 3 months.

Visa conditions

If granted a visa, there are conditions that must meet. These visa conditions are described below.

  •  Entry permission – The individual must apply for entry permission when arriving in New Zealand. They can do this by completing an arrival card, which will be given on the way to New Zealand. However, the individual can be refused entry permission if:
    • They don’t meet the character requirements
    • Their circumstances have changed since they were granted a visa
    • They refuse to let their photo be taken or to provide with their fingerprints or an iris scan, if asked for them.
  • Age – The applicant must be under 55 years of age or under

  • Travel (Resident Visa) – If the individual has applied for the visa while overseas, they’ll have 12 months to travel to New Zealand. Once in New Zealand, or if they applied for visa while in New Zealand, they can travel in and out of New Zealand as often until travel Conditions expire.To travel after that, they’ll need to apply for and be granted either:
    • A Permanent Resident Visa
    • A variation of their travel conditions, which would allow them to return to New Zealand later.

Their travel conditions will expire 2 years from the date they first arrive in New Zealand as a resident. If they’re outside of New Zealand when their travel conditions expire, their visa will expire as well.

  • Travel (Permanent Resident Holders) – They can travel in and out of New Zealand indefinitely, if they keep their visa in a valid passport.
  • Keep visa in a valid passport – If the individual wants to travel, their visa must be in a valid passport. If their passport expires, they must apply to transfer their visa to a new passport before they travel.To transfer their visa, they must:
    1. Send their old and new passports
    2. Complete an ‘Application for Transfer or Confirmation of a Visa’pay a transfer fee.

In addition to the above-mentioned conditions, there are other factors and criteria to be taken into consideration.

For more information and eligibility requirement please Contact us or complete the Assessment Form and email us.