The Physician Stream

The Physician Stream

The physician stream under the NSNP caters to the hiring of general physicians, family physicians and specialist physicians. This stream, in addition, helps in the hiring of specialized physicians by NSHA or IWK. If you too have the skills and qualification then you too can apply to this stream.

However, to apply, you must receive a Letter of Invitation from NSHA or IWK. Because this letter is an official invitation the allows you to apply to NSNP.

Who can apply?

To apply to the Physician Stream, you must meet the terms such as:

  • Firstly, have an approved offer from NSHA or IWK, as either a general physician (NOC 3112) or a specialist physician (NOC 3111);
  • Secondly, submit proof of settlement funds;
  • Besides, receive a Letter of Interest from Nova Scotia Office of Immigration (NSOI);
  • Also, have legal status in the country of residence.

Approved Opportunity

To apply to this stream, you must have either an approved opportunity or an offer to apply from the NSHA or IWK. This offer must have been received to apply as a General Physician (NOC 3112) or a Specialist Physician (NOC 3111).

The Approved Opportunity must meet terms such as:

  • Be on official NSHA or IWK letterhead;
  • Must be signed by an authorised person, hiring physicians at the NSHA or IWK;
  • Has to be signed by the applicant receiving the offer;
  • Also, must meet the terms for the licensing with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Nova Scotia; and
  • Besides, must prove that you can apply for privileges and credentials with NSHA and IWK.


You must prove that you have the required education, medical training for a license in Nova Scotia. To prove that you must:

  • Submit a copy of foreign education degree, diploma, transcripts; and
  • Submit an ECA report issued by the Medical Council of Canada.

Language Skills

This criterion is assed as per your job offer from NSHA or IWK as it indicates your ability to perform job duties in required language skill in English/French.


Legal Status

  • You must have proof of legal status as a temporary worker or visitor if living in Canada;
  • Must have legal status in the country of residence, if applying from outside Canada;
  • To be eligible to apply must have a restored status if already lost.