Live in Caregiver Program

Live in Caregiver Program – Become a permanent resident of Canada

The Live in Caregiver Program is not taking a new application for 2021. However, you can only apply to the LCP if you meet the following terms:

  • Have a minimum of 2 years of work experience under the Live in Caregiver Program, and
  • Are working in Canada. Also, have a Live in Caregiver Program work permit.
  • Received Live in Caregiver Program work permit approval.
    • Because of an LMIA that was given to ESDC before or on November 30, 2014.

In case the above terms do not apply to you, then you can apply for Canada PR through other Caregivers programs.

Who can apply for Canada PR through the Live in Caregiver Program?

To apply for permanent residency in Canada through the LCP, meet the following terms:

Canada PR Terms

To qualify for Canada PR under the LCP, have the following work experience under the Live in Caregiver Program:

  • Full-time work experience of 24 months as a live-in caregiver, or
  • Show proof of 3900 hours of full-time work within a period of 22 months.
    • Also, you can include overtime work hours up to 390 hours, and 
    • This work experience must have been gained within a period of 4 years. 


An applicant can also be eligible for Canada PR on the basis of work experience gained under LCP by applying to other Canada caregiver programs such as:

What not to include in work experience while applying for Canada PR through the Live in Caregiver Program?

As an applicant, while calculating the number of work hours, do not include the following:

  • Any period of unemployment.
  • Period of extended stay outside Canada, beyond the permissible time limit as per the employment contract.
  • Period of employment, where you are working for your Canadian employer outside Canada.
  • Any period of work experience where you are living outside the home of your employer while working as a live-in caregiver.

What are the causes that can affect your Live in Caregiver Program application?

For the following reasons, the application will be affected:

  • If the main applicant, its spouse, or common-law partner, or any of their family members, have a criminal record, a high-risk medical issue, or are a threat to the security of Canada.
  • Have provided false information to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship and Canada.

What are the factors that can not affect your application?

The following reasons will not affect your Live in Caregiver Program application:

  • For upgrading skills in Canada, or
  • Volunteer work, or
  • Marital status, or 
  • The number of family members in the home country.

Applying for the family members

An applicant can list all their family members in the PR application. Also, the family members can have medical, criminal and security screening at the time of application. This applies in cases where they are not coming to Canada. However, if family members are not listed and screened then the main applicant can not sponsor them later on.

An applicant can either list family members for PR at the time of applying or can sponsor them at a later date. This is only possible if they meet all the qualifying terms.

Apply for an Open Work Permit at the time of applying for PR through the Live in Caregiver Program

Apply for an open work permit at the time of applying for Canada PR. After getting an open work permit the applicant can take any job you want.

Applying for Canada PR in Quebec

In case you have a Live-in caregiver work permit and are currently working in Quebec, then Quebec will also assess the application. 

Departure from Canada (permanently or for vacation purposes)

If an applicant leaves Canada at the time of processing of Canada PR application, because of any reason then they must reapply for a temporary resident visa before they enter Canada again. As a result, ideally, they must apply for a new temporary resident visa from inside Canada before leaving Canada.

In case, the applicant leaves Canada for more than 1 year or if the work permit expires, then the applicant will have to reapply to the overseas visa office or Visa Application Centre to come back to Canada.