International Mobility Program

Hiring through the International Mobility Program

The International Mobility Program helps a Canadian employer to hire a temporary worker without the need of getting a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA).

However, in most cases, a Canadian employer will have to give an offer of employment via the employer portal. And once, this is done the foreign worker must apply for a work permit.

How to hire a foreign worker through the International Mobility Program?

To hire a foreign worker through the International Mobility Program do the following:

Give an offer of employment

  • Pay the compliance fee, and
  • Create an employment offer through the employer portal. Also, the employment offer should include the following:
    • Business information
    • Details of the foreign worker who is hired
    • Job details
    • wage and benefits offered


Open Work Permits

If a Canadian employer hires a foreign worker with an open work permit then it does not have to give an offer of employment form or pay the employer compliance fee. Besides, an open work permit allows the holder to work for any Canadian employer.

Employer Compliance Exemptions

There are some Canadian employers who are exempt from using the employer portal or paying compliance fees. As a Canadian employer, you do not have to use the employer portal if the following applies to you:

  • International missions or consular posts.
  • An internationally recognised organisation under the Foreign Missions and International Organisations Act.
  • A foreign government.
  • An owner or operator of an international bridge or tunnel.

Employer compliance fee exemptions

If as a Canadian employer you are part of any of the following programs or agreements then you do not have to pay a compliance fee to hire a temporary foreign worker:

Non-Trade International Agreements/programs that fall under R204(a), such as:

  • Fullbright Program (Canada-U.S.)
  • Roosevelt Campobello International Park
  • U.S. government personnel (working in Canada on an official government of U.S.A business)

Reciprocal employment

Programs or agreements that come under R205(b), such as:

  • Cultural Agreements
  • Canada-China cultural exchange

Work-related to a research program

The programs or agreements that fall under the R205(c)(i) and include the following:

  • Scientists and engineers taking part in the Visiting Fellowships in Canadian Government Laboratories Program under the:
    • National Research Council of Canada
    • Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada
  • Atomic Energy of Canada Ltd sponsored scientists or post-doctoral fellows.
  • Scientists or scholars who are sponsored by the following:
    • National Research Council of Canada
    • National Resources Canada and its associated departments – Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, Canadian Food Inspection Agency,and Defence Research and Development Canada.
    • Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada
  • Research chair positions:
    • Canada Research Chair
    • Canada Excellence Research Chair
    • similar research chair positions

Charitable or religious work

This includes programs/agreements that come under R205(d) and include workers such as:

Temporary foreign workers (TFW’s) who do not have to pay a work permit process fee. Also, TFW’s can not get paid for their work. However, they may get a living expense stipend, which will be below the minimum set wage. Otherwise, the workers must get non-monetary benefits such as housing and healthcare.

After giving an offer of employment

Once an employer submits an offer of employment, the employer will get an employment number. Now, if you are submitting a work permit application then you need this number to complete the application. 

Further, the application will be processed and the TFW will get:

  • At the time of arriving in Canada – A letter of introduction and work permit from a Canada Border Services Officer.
  • A new work permit, either if you are living in Canada or are applying when you enter Canada.