Interim Pathway for Caregivers
The Interim Pathway for Caregivers has ended as of Oct 08, 2019. In case you applied before Oct 08, 2019, then Canada will continue to process the application. This program gives a limited time pathway for Canada PR for applicants who qualify as in-home caregivers and their families. So, if you have work experience in Canada as a home child care provider or home support worker, you may be able to apply for permanent residence in Canada.
Who can apply to the Interim Pathway for Caregivers program?
To apply to this program, meet the following terms:
- Status in Canada
- Work Experience
- Language Skill Level
Besides, you must agree to live outside Quebec.
Status in Canada
At the time of applying, the applicant must have:
- A valid work permit.
- Applied to extend work permit and a decision is yet to come, or
- Applied to restore status as a worker.
Besides, do not apply to the Interim Pathway for Caregivers if your:
- Application for extension of a work permit has received a refusal.
- Application to restore status in Canada has been refused.
- Currently, have a work permit under the Live in Caregiver Program, or
- Are applying to extend your work permit or restore your status in Canada.
- Also, the last work experience must have been gained under the Live in Caregiver Program.
To qualify, the work experience must have been gained through the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP). This means the employer must get a positive LMIA before hiring a foreign immigrant.
Post-November 30, 2014, the applicant must have a minimum of 12 months of work experience in Canada. This can be either as a Home Childcare Worker, Home Support Worker, or a combination of two.
Besides, for this work experience:
- Full-time work experience refers to a minimum of 30 hours of paid work.
- Can include breaks in employment
- However, do not include work experience gained as a full-time student.
Further, the applicant must show proof of work experience.
Home Child Care Provider
- Work must match the job profile of a Home Child care provider
- Have cared for children under the age of 18 at your place or at the employer’s place.
- To qualify the applicant does not have to necessarily live in the employer’s home.
- Experience as a foster parent is not accountable.
Home Support Worker
- Work must watch the job profile of a Home Support Worker
- Home Support Workers can qualify under 4412.
- Experience as a housekeeper is not counted.
Language Skill Level
Canada requires all applicants to have a job-ready English skill level. Thus, an applicant can show a language skill level for English or French. Besides, an applicant must have a minimum language skill level of CLB/NCLC 5 for English/French.
Also, to do so submit test results of:
International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
Canadian English Language Proficiency Program (CELPIP)
Test d’évaluation de français pour le Canada (TEF Canada)
|9 and above||371+||298+||248+||371+|
|8||349 – 370||280 – 297||233 – 247||349 – 370|
|7||310 – 348||249 – 279||207 – 232||310 – 348|
|6||271 – 309||217 – 248||181 – 206||271 – 309|
|5||226 – 270||181 – 216||151 – 180||226 – 270|
Test de connaissance du français pour le Canada (TCF Canada)
|10+||16 – 20||549 – 699||549 – 699||16 – 20|
|9||14 – 15||523 – 548||524 – 548||14 – 15|
|8||12 – 13||503 – 522||499 – 523||12 – 13|
|7||10 – 11||458 – 502||453 – 498||10 – 11|
|6||7 – 9||398 – 457||406 – 452||7 – 9|
|5||6||369 – 397||375 – 405||6|
As per this factor, the applicant must have a Canadian high school diploma or a non-Canadian educational diploma, certificate or credential that matches Canada’s education system. So, to do so, submit an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report. An ECA report simply evaluates a foreign degree/diploma/certificate and sees if it matches Canada’s education level or not.
In short, if you meet the above terms then you qualify to apply for Canada PR through the Interim Pathway for Caregivers.