How can I move to Canada as an Indian lawyer?

Canada Immigration 2022: How can I move to Canada as an Indian lawyer?

Are you a professional with a law degree and have work experience in the same field? But something feels amiss; maybe the pay for starters or the work environment is not as progressive as you wanted it to be. Are you not sure which direction your future is going as a lawyer in India?

Law in India is seen as one of the booming areas of interest. For people think once you are handed over a degree you will become the next Harish Salve or Lois Toler, Jane Wanjiru Michuki or Wichai Thongtang. Each year a huge mass of students enters law universities/colleges with big dreams. They then come out and begin the chase of making their dreams a reality.

However, none of them is aware of how much time, money and patience is it going to take to make it. And until when will their name have a firm grip in the marketplace? This is also one of the reasons that a highly promising field of law is losing its lustre in India. 
In such a case it is advisable to make a smooth transition to a more secure, safe, and promising country. And all such factors are rightfully fulfilled by Canada.

How can I move to Canada as an Indian lawyer? Before answering the process of moving to Canada as an Indian lawyer, you must know if your profession is in demand in Canada. 

Canada facing 1.2 million job vacancies

In March 2022, Canada saw 1,012,900 job positions vacant. And not much has changed since; rather the number of vacant job positions is increasing more. As a result, Canada is in dire need of skilled workers who have the right skills for the right job. If we talk about the demand for lawyers, that sector is also facing the same plight as the rest of the industries.

In Canada, each occupation has been divided under the National Occupational Classification (NOC) code. This is a system that gives each occupation a 4-digit code. As per this code, Canada can see the complete details/skills required to perform a particular job. The NOC code for lawyers and Quebec notaries is 4112.

And as per statistical data from Job Bank (Canada), lawyers are one of the professions that are in high demand throughout Canada. Every province and territory is in great need of good and skilled lawyers. A report from Job Bank also stated that the same is going to be the case for the next 3 years. Can you just imagine the demand for lawyers in Canada, which is still not going to be fulfilled in the next three years? Whereas with each passing time the job vacancy rate is only getting higher.

Looking at the immigration trends and increasing demand for skilled workers in Canada, the country’s inflow of immigrants will continue for the next 15-20 years. After that, the country may slow down or impose strictness on the admission of foreign skilled workers into the country. Just like some other first-world countries in today’s time with their complex immigration systems and long processing times.

What will I do as a lawyer in Canada?

While figuring out How can I move to Canada as an Indian lawyer question, you might want to know what you will do when you reach Canada. The following is the list of tasks you will be doing as a lawyer/Quebec notary:

  • Offering sound advice on legal matters and sharing details of their rights with clients.
  • Researching legal matters and collecting evidence about the same.
  • As a lawyer represent your client’s case before courts of law, tribunals, and boards.
  • Create legal documents such as divorces, contracts, wills, real state dealing, paper on legal opinions etc.
  • As a lawyer work on settling civil disputes.
  • As per the practice of law do managerial and administrative work.
  • You can also work as an arbitrator, conciliator, or mediator.
  • As for family and estate matters, you can act as a guardian, trustee, or executor.
  • Besides, as a lawyer or a Quebec notary, you can specialise in areas such as but not limited to:
    • Criminal law (for lawyers only)
    • Labour law
    • Intellectual property law
    • Family and estate law
    • Real estate law
    • Corporate law
    • Contract law
    • Taxation law
    • Administrative law
    • Commercial law
    • International law

As a lawyer what Canadian job profiles, I can hold?

Before getting into the process let us look at the job position(s) that is at your disposal as an Indian lawyer. Here is a list of some job positions:

  • Articling law student
  • Solicitor
  • Prosecutor
  • Notary (Quebec)
  • Legislative counsel
  • Law partner
  • Legal advisor
  • Crown attorney
  • Lawyer
  • Corporate Counsel
  • Paralegal etc.

India Vs Canada which pays lawyers better?

How can I move to Canada as an Indian lawyer? But some might debate why one should leave India after working so hard to become a lawyer. The reason for the same is the discrepancy in pay and the number of years it will take for you to earn a good figure in pay.

Let us take an example, you are a fresh degree holder venturing out into the legal world. As a fresher, you will work as a legal intern, but to what use? You will earn 5000 INR (81.13 CAD) to 7000 (113.82) in a month. Now run a few years ahead, you have some experience, got the industry know-how and get a bar license, now you can become an associate in a law firm. And you will earn a whopping 15,000 INR (243.90 CAD) to 18,000 INR (292.68 CAD) per month (subject to change as per firm size and its annual revenues).

At the end of the day, the industry revolves around not just educational credentials but the amount of experience you hold and ultimately the ace, holding a bar license. Not only this but your success in the field may also be related to your connection and relations with industry peers. 

Canada on the other hand is a financial paradise for lawyers. Because apart from all the perks of being a permanent resident in Canada, you get paid handsomely. The following is a look at the prevailing wages in Canada:

Looking at the above graph details we can see the salary distribution as the following:


High – Annually $294,346 CAD (18088438.85 INR) | Monthly – $24,529 CAD (1507380.15 INR)

Low – Annually $37,347 CAD (2295084.44 INR) | Monthly – $3112.25 approx. CAD (191257.04 INR)

As we can see that on average the above figures are shared between lawyers. A lower figure indicates the beginning of their journey. Whereas an experienced and established lawyer can easily fetch in a very high salary bracket with ease.

The idea here is ease, fairness, and chances of success when starting or re-directing the course of your career path. And Canada may have a light upper edge for that. How can I move to Canada as an Indian lawyer? the above reason will make you want to explore more. So, choose wisely.

How can I move to Canada as an Indian lawyer?

Finally, we reach the moment where we can address the question of the hour. How can I move to Canada as an Indian lawyer? Now, you know the reasons that are or will make you choose Canada for your career and quality of life. Because as a professional, you would want to choose an upward trajectory of success.

So, as an Indian lawyer, there is immense scope for you in Canada. And the rate of immigration along with the demand is ever so high. How can I move to Canada as an Indian lawyer? Follow these pathways to successfully immigrate to Canada. You can choose one of the following Canadian immigration pathways:

The Express Entry (EE) System

The reason why Canada is the top destination for immigrants is primarily because of the Express Entry (EE) System. As it is one of the prime sources by which Canada has been able to always break its immigration levels target every year. The system was introduced to structure Canada’s immigration system and ensure transparent and quicker PR visa application processing.

It was firstly introduced on Jan 01, 2015. And has been handling applications under its 3 sub-streams such as the FSW, FST, and CEC sub-streams. So, if you wish to get a Canada permanent residency visa within 6 months then this is the best option for you. As an Indian lawyer, you should be applying to the EE Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSW/FSWP) sub-stream. However, to do the same, Canada shares certain parameters that you must match to qualify and apply to the EE system.

Who can apply to the EE System – FSW sub-stream?

To apply to the EE FSW sub-stream, you must get a minimum of 67 points out of 100 as per the 6 selection factors. The factors as per which you get points are as the following:

  • Age – Max 12 points
  • Education – Max 25 points
  • Work Experience – Max 15 points
  • Language Skills – Max 24 (First official language) + 4 (Second official language) points
  • Arranged Employment – Max 10 points
  • Adaptability – 10 points

In addition to the above, you must meet additional parameters to qualify to apply such as:

  • Must have a minimum of 1 year of work experience in an occupation that comes under NOC 0, A, or B.
  • Must have proof of information shared above:
    • Language test results show you have a minimum language skill level of CLB 7 (English/French).
    • If claiming points for a second official language, then your language skill level must be a minimum of CLB 5.
  • Have an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report to prove that your foreign education level matches that of Canada’s education system.
  • Besides, you must have proof of funds to show that you can easily settle and take care of yourself and your family members (if accompanying). 

What happens when I apply to the EE system under the FSW sub-stream?

Irrespective of the EE sub-stream (FSW/FST/CEC) you apply from, your EE profile enters an Express Entry (EE) pool. Here all profiles under the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) get a CRS rank. This rank is given as per the information given by you while launching your profile in the EE System.

Post that, the race for PR depends on a single invitation termed the Invitation to Apply (ITA). IRCC holds periodic draws where it shares a CRS cut-off. So, if you match or exceed the cut off then you will get an ITA. As the name suggests an ITA is an invitation to apply for Canada PR. This means that you have cleared the draw and now you must submit a complete and error-free Canada PR visa application along with all required supporting documents. But you must do the same within 60 days of getting an ITA.

Moreover, post submission, if IRCC approves your application then you will get a Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) with which you can finally fly to Canada.

Provincial Nominee Program (PNP)

As we are aware that Canada is facing a huge labour market shortage. And is in desperate need of skilled workers all over Canada. So, understanding this shifty need of provinces and territories Canada introduced the PNP program in 1998. The aim was to share the benefits of immigration with participating provinces and territories. Currently, 9 provinces and 2 territories take part in the PNP program. Under the PNP the participating provinces and territories can nominate skilled workers according to their labour market needs and economic demands.

Further, the PNP pathway is Canada’s second most famous immigration pathway after the Express Entry (EE) System. So, as a foreign skilled worker if your skills are in demand in a particular province or territory then they will surely offer you a provincial nomination. With this nomination certificate, you can apply to the IRCC for permanently settling in Canada on a Canada PR visa.

To know more about Canada’s PNP pathway – click here! 

Now, you know the answer to the question, “How can I move to Canada as an Indian lawyer?”. So, all you have to do is apply via CICC licensed Canada Immigration lawyer (R417119) at Global Vision Immigration.

In short, “How can I move to Canada as an Indian lawyer?”, why not let a Canadian immigration lawyer guide you on the same?

Apply now. Free Assessment. Contact Us to connect with our Canada immigration experts to know more.

Related Posts