The Guardian of a Student Visitor Visa allows parents and legal guardians of the student to live and care for their children who are in New Zealand on a student visa.
Things to note:
If an individual is granted this visa, there are certain conditions that are described below that they must meet
Entry permission- The individual must apply for entry permission when they arrive in New Zealand. They can do this by completing an arrival card, which they’ll be given on the way to New Zealand.
They individual can be refused entry permission if:
- They do not meet the character requirements
- Their circumstances have changed since they were granted a visa
- They refuse to let their photo be taken or to provide their fingerprints or an iris scan when asked to do so.
- They’re unable to provide evidence of any onward travel or funds required by the conditions of their visa.
Living – The individual must live with and care for their child in New Zealand on a student visa. If they withdraw their support or move away from their child, they may have to leave New Zealand.
Travel – After arrival, the individual can travel in and out of New Zealand as many times as they like before their visa expires. They must intend to visit their children or grandchildren in New Zealand.
Onward Travel – Unless their visa label or letter says “Return/onward travel not required”, they must have either of the following:
- A travel ticket to a country they can enter
- An acceptable sponsor who can pay for their travel ticket out of New Zealand to a country they can enter.
Funds or sponsorship – They must have enough money to support themselves while they’re in New Zealand or have a sponsor.
Work/Study – The applicant cannot work or study in New Zealand on this visa. They may be able to apply for a variation of conditions to allow them to study part-time.
Visa expiry – The applicant must leave New Zealand before their visa expires. They may be able to apply for another visa to stay longer, but they won’t be eligible for any of the following:
- An Essential Skills Work Visa
- A Specific Purpose or Event Work Visa
- A Student Visa
In addition to the above-mentioned conditions, there are other factors and criteria to be taken into consideration.