Global Talent Stream
Global Talent Stream is a 2-year pilot program that is a part of the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP). It helps Canadian employers hire highly skilled foreign workers. Also, this stream is for highly innovative companies that need employees with unique and special skills. further, it helps employers to hire people for an in-demand highly skilled position as per the Global Talent Occupations List.
If an applicant is hiring through this stream, then they must:
- Firstly, meet the terms of the Global Talent Stream.
- Secondly, meet the terms and condition for hiring a temporary worker as per the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations and the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.
- Besides, as an employer under this stream, make a Labour Market Benefits Plan. Because this plan shares details of employer-specific activities and how they shall impact Canada’s labour market.
- Also, Canada will conduct progress reviews of the above plan to check if the employer is fulfilling its commitments.
Further, the ESDC processes the applications within 10 working days (2 weeks) on a priority basis. So, an employer can hire through one of the following categories:
To qualify under this the employer must be referred to Global Talent Stream by 1 of the Global Talent Streams partners. Also, you must be hiring unique and specialised talent.
Terms to meet
Global Talent Streams partners
To qualify an employer must be referred to Global Talent Stream by 1 of the Global Talent Streams partners. A partner will refer the employer to ESDC after checking if the employer’s company meets the following terms:
- Firstly, the business is legal and valid.
- Secondly, the company is running in Canada.
- Also, has an innovative approach.
- Besides, the company has a scope of growth and expansion.
- Further, it is looking to fill a special and unique job position, and
- Finally, has a potential employee who can fill the available job position.
Unique and Specialised Position
This refers to a job position that meets the terms such as:
- Firstly, has either a minimum $38.64 wage per hour for an $80,000 annual salary or is equal to the wage rate for that job position (whichever is higher). Also, offer an equal of both hourly wage rate and annual base salary at a minimum; and
- Secondly, offers exposure to knowledge about the industry; and
- Also, an Advanced degree to the employer in the specialisation of interest, and/or
- Finally, a minimum of 5 years of experience in the field of specialisation.
An employer can hire a highly skilled worker for an in-demand job on the Global Talent Occupations List. Also, this category does not require the applicant to get a reference from any partner.
Global talent jobs list (as of July 2019)
|NOC Code||Job Position||Min. wage (annual salary)||Min. wage (per hour)|
|0213||Computer and information systems managers||Current wage||Current wage|
|2147||Computer engineers (except software engineers and designers)||Current wage||Current wage|
|Sub-set of 2161*
* Positions for data analysts calculating insurance risks or related occupations are excluded from this subset.
|Mathematicians and statisticians||Current wage||Current wage|
|2171||Information systems analysts and consultants||Current wage||Current wage|
|2172||Database analysts and data administrators||Current wage||Current wage|
|2173||Software engineers and designers||Current wage||Current wage|
|2174||Computer programmers and media developers||Current wage||Current wage|
|2175||Web designers and developers||Current wage||Current wage|
|2281||Computer network technicians||$82,000 or higher current wage||$39.42 or higher current wage|
|2283||Information system testing technicians||$80,000 or higher current wage||$38.46 or higher current wage|
|Sub-set of 5131||Visual effects and video games||$78,000 or higher current wage||$37.50 or higher current wage|
|Sub-set of 5241||Digital media designers||$80,000 or higher current wage||$38.46 or higher current wage|
Labour Market Benefits Plan
All employers must make a labour market benefits plan with ESDC. Because this plan lists all the duties of a Global Talent Stream employer. Also, it helps the govt to check if all commitments are being fulfilled or not.
Besides the duties in this are divided as follows:
Firstly, activities that give compulsory benefits.
- Category A – Create jobs for both Canadians and permanent residents.
- Category B – Must increase skills and invest in training Canadians and permanent residents.
Secondly, activities that give benefits which add to Canada (complimentary benefits).
So, under this, have 1 activity each for both category A and B. Besides, compulsory benefits cannot match the complementary benefits.
Complimentary benefits include but are not limited to:
- Making jobs available.
- Investing in skills and training.
- Sharing knowledge with Canadian citizens and permanent residents.
- Grow the performance of the company.
- Use the best policies or practices to grow your employees.
Applying for both categories
If an employer is applying for both Category A and B, meet terms such as:
- Firstly, have 1 activity for creating jobs.
- Secondly. have 1 activity to invest in skills and training.
- Also, must have a minimum of 2 complementary activities.
Besides the following activities can be added to support complementary and compulsory benefits as a part of the Labour Market Plan. But are not limited to:
- Increase hiring of Canadian and permanent residents, for full-time/part-time jobs.
- Contribute to university/college/institute through skills/training exchange study program.
- Give paid co-op or internships for Canadian and permanent residents.
- Make and use policies or practices for the hiring of minority groups.
- Give training and chances to Canadians and permanent residents for growing skills.
- Also, the highly skilled employees hired must direct and mentor Canadians and permanent residents.
- Further, grow profits, hiring or investment activities at the firm.
- In addition, develop or improve practises/policies for hiring and keeping Canadian and permanent resident employees.