Global Special Humanitarian Visa (subclass 202)

The Global Special Humanitarian visa (subclass 202) (permanent visa.) is for an individual if they are outside Australia, are living outside their home country, are subject to substantial discrimination amounting to a gross violation of their human rights in their home country, and are proposed by a person or organisation in Australia.


An individual might be able to get this visa if they are:

  • Are living outside their home country
  • Are subject to substantial discrimination which amounts to a gross violation of their human rights in their home country
  • Are proposed for this visa by a person or organisation in Australia.

The individual must be outside Australia when they apply for a Global Special Humanitarian visa (subclass 202). They must also be outside Australia when a visa is granted.

What this visa allows for: –

This is a permanent residence visa. It allows an individual to:

  • Stay in Australia indefinitely
  • Work and study in Australia
  • Enrol in Medicare, Australia’s scheme for health-related care and expenses
  • Access certain social security payments
  • Apply for Australian citizenship (after they have lived in Australia for four years)
  • Propose or sponsor family members for permanent residence
  • Attend English language classes.

If the individual wants to travel outside Australia, they will need to get a travel document. After five years, they will need a Resident Return Visa  (subclasses 155/157) to re-enter Australia.


There is no visa application charge for this visa, unless an individual is applying under the Community pilot.

The Australian Government does not fund travel costs for the holders of Global Special Humanitarian visas (subclass 202). If the individuals application is approved, they or their proposer must pay for them to travel to Australia.

Financial assistance is available to the individual if their family members come to Australia on this visa. The International Organization for Migration (IOM) No-Interest Loan Scheme provides the following services:

  • Lends up to 75 percent of the travel costs to Australia to the individual or their immediate family members entering Australia on a Global Special Humanitarian visa (subclass 202)
  • Arranges the travel bookings
  • Provides advice and support before, during and after their family’s journey to Australia.

The Proposer

Applications for a Global Special Humanitarian visa (subclass 202) must be supported by an eligible proposer in Australia. The proposer must be:

  • An Australian citizen
  • An Australian permanent resident
  • An organisation in Australia.

If a member of the individuals immediate family was granted a Protection or Humanitarian visa in the past five years, they can also propose the individual for this visa under ‘split family’ provisions. Kindly find more information at Proposing an Immediate Family Member (‘Split Family’).

The following people can be included in the individuals visa application at the time of lodgement:

  • Their partner (married or de facto)
  • Their or their partner’s dependent children
  • Other dependent relatives.

These family members must meet the requirements for including family members in the application. They could be asked to provide evidence of their relationship to the individual. This could include marriage certificates, birth certificates, joint bank accounts and other relevant documents.

The family members must be able to show that they meet health and character requirements.

Non-dependent children who want to apply for entry to Australia on humanitarian grounds must apply for this visa separately.

In addition to the above-mentioned conditions, there are other factors and criteria to be taken into consideration.

For more information and eligibility requirement please Contact us or complete the Assessment Form and email us.