For your application to be eligible for processing as a FSW under the PhD stream, you must include the results of your official language proficiency test and meet either of the following eligibility criteria:
- International students enrolled in a PhD program at a provincially or territorially recognized private or public post-secondary educational institution in Canada who:
- have completed at least two years of study toward a PhD;
- are in good academic standing at the time they apply;
- are not recipients of an award requiring them to return to their home country to apply their knowledge and skills.
- Graduates of a PhD program from a provincially or territorially recognized private or public post-secondary educational institution in Canada who:
- graduated no more than 12 months before the date their application is received;
- did not receive an award which required them to return to their home country to apply their knowledge and skills (or did, but have satisfied the terms of the award).
(A maximum of 1,000 applications will be considered for processing each year under the PhD stream. These applications will not be included in the total for any other cap. Applications will be considered in the order they are received. The first cap year for the PhD stream ended on October 31, 2012. The new cap year began on November 1, 2012 and will end on October 31, 2013, unless otherwise indicated by the Minister.)
If you apply and do not meet the above criteria, you will be informed and your processing fee will be refunded.