Family Reunification (Family Class Immigration)

Canada always gives priority to help families who come from other countries to reunite in Canada. To become Permanent Resident of Canada under the Family Class, a foreign national (Sponsored Person) must be sponsored by a close relative or a family member living in Canada as a Permanent Resident or a Canadian Citizen (Sponsor).

A Canadian citizen or a permanent resident can sponsor relatives or family members residing abroad if those relatives are:

  • Spouse, common-law partner, or conjugal partner;
  • Parent or grandparent;
  • Dependent children, including adopted children;
  • Intended adopted child under 18 years of age; children under 18 years of age whom you intend to adopt
  • Brothers, sisters, nephews, nieces or grandchildren who are orphans, under the age of 18 and not married or in a common-law relationship
  • Any other relative, if the Sponsor has no relative listed above and no relatives who are Canadian citizens or Canadian Permanent Residents (limited to one relative only)

To be eligible to sponsor a close relative who wish to immigrate to Canada, should be:

  • 18 years of age or older,
  • A Canadian Citizen, or a permanent resident living in Canada, and
  • Has not defaulted on a previous sponsorship agreement;
  • Is not facing criminal charges or awaiting the outcome of an immigration inquiry (if a permanent resident); not in prison; not bankrupt; not under a removal order (if a Permanent Resident)
  • Meets the financial obligations set by Government of Canada (except when sponsoring a spouse).

In addition, spouses or common-law partners who are 16 years of age or older, and have legal temporary status in Canada as visitors, students, or temporary workers (Temporary Resident Visa holders) may apply under the In-Canada Sponsorship Class.

All members and their dependents under the Family Class Sponsorships need to undergo a medical examination and security check before immigrating to Canada. Sometimes, the family members may be called for a personal interview at the visa office abroad or inside Canada.

Dependent Children:

A son or daughter is considered dependent with regard to immigration when the child:

  • Is under the age of 22 and does not have a spouse or common-law partner
  • Is a full-time student and is substantially dependent on a parent for financial support since before the age of 22, or since becoming a spouse or common-law partner (if this happened before age 22) or
  • Is financially dependent on a parent since before the age of 22 because of a disability.

Financial Obligation:

To sponsor a relative or family member a Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident must sign an undertaking with the Government of Canada. As per the undertaking the sponsor must provide the Sponsored Person or Family Member and dependents with their basic essential needs which include food, clothing and other basic requirements of everyday living, medical care, including dental and eye care and other health needs which are not covered by public health services available to all Canadian citizens and permanent residents.

Please Contact Us for more information about the Family Class Sponsorship or complete our Free Online Assessment now