This visa is for people who want to work in their own business in New Zealand. To apply, an individual will need to provide a detailed business plan, have at least NZ $100,000 to invest in a business and can claim 120 points on our points scale. If granted this visa, the applicant can buy or set up a business without living here permanently, or as a first step towards New Zealand residence.
This visa allows to:
- Come to New Zealand to buy or set up a business.
- Work in a business in New Zealand for up to 3 years in total.
- Travel in and out of New Zealand as many times before the visa expires.
- Study for up to 3 months in any 12-month period
- Include partner, and dependent children aged 19 and under, in the visa application.
Visa eligibility conditions
- Entry permission: An individual must apply for entry permission when arrive in New Zealand.
- Duration: 12 months in the start- up stage of the visa, then another 24 months, once the applicant has shown that they have set up their own business.
- Work: An individual can only work for them self, in the business and location named on the visa.
- Contact details: Must disclose if the address or other contact details change for 5 years after the visa is approved.
- No welfare assistance: The applicant must not apply for or accept welfare assistance while in New Zealand
In addition to the above-mentioned conditions, there are other factors and criteria to be taken into consideration.
First of all the applicant has to meet the following minimum requirements:
If the applicant’s business is in the science or ICT sectors, shows a high level of innovation or export potential, may be considered for waiving the NZ $100,000 capital investment requirement.
If the applicant has been involved in any kind of business fraud or financial wrong doing, they won’t be able to get this visa.
If the applicant has a partner or dependent children who are granted visas based on this visa, they must not apply for or accept welfare assistance while in New Zealand either.