Educational Credential Assessment

Educational Credential Assessment (ECA)

An Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) is used to verify that your foreign degree, diploma, certificate (or other proof of your credential) is valid and equal to a Canadian one.

Who needs an Educational Credential Assessment report?

If you have a Canadian degree, diploma or certificate, you do not need to get an ECA. But you will need to get an ECA report for your foreign degree, diploma or certificate if:

  1. Firstly, you want to apply to the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) under the Express Entry (EE) System.
    • You are a principal applicant, and
    • You got your education outside Canada, or
  2. Secondly, you are an Express Entry candidate (or their spouse or common-law partner coming with them to Canada) being considered for the Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP) or the Canadian Experience Class (CEC). And you want to claim points for your foreign education.


To be eligible under a) or to get points under b) you must include ECA results as part of your Express Entry profile.

How can an ECA report help in immigrating to Canada?

An Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) can give you early feedback on how your credentials compare to those in Canada. It may also help when you are looking for a job. But getting an assessment does not guarantee that:

  • Firstly, you will get a job in your field or at a certain level,
  • Secondly, your work experience and professional credentials will get recognition in Canada,
  • Also, you will be licensed to practice in a regulated profession.


Please check Job Bank to learn more about the job market outlook for your job profile in the specific region where you plan to settle.


If you plan to work in a regulated profession, you must still get your licence in the province or territory that you plan on settling in. A regulatory authority will decide if you need a license for a profession. They will assess factors such as your education, experience/competencies and language skills, as well as other factors.

You should contact the regulatory authority in the province where you plan to live as soon as possible. Because they can give you information about the process for getting a license, including steps you can take before you leave your home country.

Designated organizations for ECAs

You can arrange to get your assessment from: