Dependent Child Visa

Dependent Child Visa
Dependent Child Visa

A Dependent Child visa (subclass 445) is a temporary visa for the child of a parent who holds a temporary Partner visa that does not already include the child.

If this visa is granted, the child also needs to make a permanent Partner visa application before the parent’s permanent Partner visa is decided. The child can be in or outside Australia when they apply for this visa. If the child’s siblings are also applying for this visa, they must lodge separate applications.


A child applying for this visa must be the dependent child of a parent who holds a temporary Partner visa or a Dependent Child visa. A parent usually lodges the application on behalf of the child.

The child must be:

  • A biological child, stepchild or adopted child of the parent
  • Sponsored by the same person sponsoring their parent with limited exceptions
  • Able to meet health and character requirements
  • Single (the child cannot be married, engaged to be married, or in a de facto relationship)
  • Younger than 18, or else be one of the following:
    1. Financially dependent on the parent holding the temporary Partner visa
    2. Incapacitated for work due to the total or partial loss of bodily or mental functions.

What does this visa allow for :

This visa allows the child to:

  • Travel to and from, or stay in Australia with their parents until a decision in made on the parent’s permanent visa application
  • Work and study in Australia
  • Travel to and from and stay in Australia while the temporary visa is valid. The visa is valid while the parent’s temporary Partner visa or Dependent Child visa is valid.
    Dependent Child Visa
    Dependent Child Visa

A Dependent Child visa holder is eligible to enroll in Medicare once they have lodged an application for a permanent Partner visa. Medicare is Australia’s scheme for health related care and expenses.

The child’s parent:

To be granted this visa, the child’s parent or step-parent must already hold one of the following temporary Partner visas:

  • Temporary Partner visa (subclass 309 or subclass 820)
  • Dependent Child visa (subclass 445).

For a child who is under 18 to be granted this visa, each person who can legally decide where the child can live must give permission for the child to be granted this visa. If another parent or person can make that decision, they must also give their permission.

Information on how to meet this requirement can be found in the Document checklist.

Parental responsibility:

This visa can be granted only if the individual can show one of the following for a child younger than 18 years of age:

  • They have the written consent of each person who can legally decide where the child lives
  • The laws of the child’s home country permit the removal of the child
  • It is consistent with any Australian child order.

Who can sponsor a child:

In most cases, to sponsor a child for this visa you must:

  • Already be sponsoring the child’s parent for a permanent partner visa
  • Be prepared to provide support for the child and members of their family unit included in the application.

If the child is under 18, you and your partner (if any) will also need to provide a police certificate from each country you have lived in for 12 months or more during the past 10 years after you turned 16. Do not arrange for police certificates until the department asks you to.

This visa will not usually be granted if it is against the best interests of a child younger than 18 years of age.

Measures for the protection of children has more information.

In addition to the above-mentioned conditions, there are other factors and criteria to be taken into consideration.

For more information and eligibility requirement please Contact us or complete the Assessment Form and email us.