Dependent Child Student Visa

Dependent children of certain kinds of work and visa holders can apply for a student visa to allow them to go to school while their parents work or study in New Zealand. The children can be treated as domestic students, which means they don’t have to pay tuition fees to go to a primary or secondary school.

Visa Eligibility:

  • The child must be a dependent child
  • Must be under the age of 19
  • Must meet the character requirements

This visa allows the:

  • Dependent child join their parent in New Zealand.
  • Dependent child study at a primary or secondary school in New Zealand.
  • Dependent child be treated as a domestic student, which means they don’t have to pay tuition fees for them to go to school.

Things to note:

  • If the child wants to study at tertiary level, they should apply for a ‘Fee Paying Student Visa’ instead.
  • Dependent children of work visa holders aren’t eligible for this visa if their parent’s work visa was granted for a working holiday, for a Silver Fern or Skilled Migrant job search, to work in seasonal employment, or to work as crew of a fishing vessel.
  • Dependent children of Student Visa holders are only eligible for this visa if one of their parents is in New Zealand for an approved student exchange scheme, is enrolled in a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) programme in a New Zealand university, or has a New Zealand Aid Programme Scholarship

Visa conditions:

If you are granted a visa, there are conditions that you must meet. These visa conditions are described below.

Entry Permission – The individual must apply for entry permission when they arrive in New Zealand. They can do this by completing an arrival card, which they’ll be given on the way to New Zealand.

They individual can be refused entry permission if:

  • They do not meet the character requirements
  • Their circumstances have changed since they were granted a visa
  • They refuse to let their photo be taken or to provide their fingerprints or an iris scan when asked to do so.
  • They’re unable to provide evidence of any onward travel or funds required by the conditions of their visa.

Travel – If the children want to travel in and out of New Zealand, they must have valid multiple entry travel conditions to return to New Zealand. If they’re applying from inside New Zealand, they’ll normally give their children multiple entry travel conditions when they’re granted a Student Visa.

If their children don’t have multiple entry travel conditions and they leave New Zealand, their visa will expire. The child’s travel conditions will be listed on their visa label, or in a visa letter

Onward travel (children of work visa holders) – Dependent children of work visa holders must have the means to leave New Zealand at all times during their visit. This can be in the form of any of the following:

  • A travel ticket
  • Enough money to buy a travel ticket
  • A financial undertaking
  • Sponsorship by an acceptable sponsor.

If their child’s visa label or letter doesn’t say ‘Return/onward ticket not required’ or ‘The holder of this visa is sponsored’, they may be asked for evidence of their travel arrangements when they check in or arrive in New Zealand.

Funds or sponsorship (children of student visa holders)- they must have enough money to support their child while they’re in New Zealand, or the child must have a sponsor or guarantor.

If their child’s visa label or letter doesn’t say ‘Financial evidence not required’ or ‘The holder of this visa is sponsored’, they may be asked for evidence of funds when they arrive in New Zealand.

Work – Students studying in year 12 or 13, the last 2 years of secondary school can work up to 20 hours a week during the school year and full-time in the Christmas and New Year holiday period between school years.

  • Students under 18 must have written permission from their school, and parents or legal guardian to work.
  • Students over 18 don’t need permission to work in the summer holidays.

When they have a job in New Zealand, they have to pay tax on their earnings. You’ll need to have a New Zealand bank account and an IRD number to do this. Work rights are not granted to students under 16.

The children aren’t allowed to be self-employed. They have to work as an employee with an employment agreement and not as an independent contractor.

Visa expiry – The child must leave New Zealand before their visa expires. Visa expiry dates are printed on a visa label, or included in a visa letter.

In addition to the above-mentioned conditions, there are other factors and criteria to be taken into consideration.

For more information and eligibility requirement please Contact us or complete the Assessment Form and email us.