Contributory Parent Visa

The Contributory Parent visa (subclass 143) lets parents live permanently in Australia if they have a child who is an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen who is settled in Australia.

Most applicants need to be sponsored by their child. The sponsor needs to have lived lawfully in Australia for the two years before the application is lodged.


An individual might be able to get a permanent Contributory Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 143) if they either:

What does this visa allow for:
This permanent residence visa allows the individual and any of their family members who have also been granted this visa:

  • Stay in Australia indefinitely
  • Work and study in Australia
  • Enroll in Medicare, Australia’s scheme for health-related care and
  • Apply for Australian citizenship(if they are eligible)
  • Sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
  • Travel to and from Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted (after that time, they will need a resident return visa or another visa to return to Australia).

Before Application:

An individual will have to pay more for Contributory Parent visas than for most other visas. This is because many families wanted a faster visa process and were prepared to pay a higher contribution towards their family members’ health and welfare costs in Australia. Visa charges cannot be waived or reduced.

An individual also has the option of applying for a Contributory Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 173), which provides a two-stage pathway, allowing the costs of Contributory Parent migration to be staggered.


The visa application charges are listed in Fees and charges.

The visa application charge for this visa is paid in two installments.

  • Pay the first installment when lodging the application
  • Pay the second installment when the individual is asked to. They must pay it for the visa to be granted.

The sponsor:

The individual must be sponsored by an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen. The sponsor needs to have been living lawfully in Australia for at least two years before they apply for this visa. For most applicants, their child or their child’s spouse or de facto partner will need to sponsor them.

If their child is younger than 18 years of age they can be sponsored by:

  • Their child’s spouse, if the spouse has turned 18 and is a settled Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen
  • A relative or guardian of their child
  • A relative or guardian of their child’s spouse, if the spouse has not turned 18 and is a settled Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen
  • A community organisation.

Sponsor obligations:

As a sponsor, an individual must give a written undertaking to provide support for their parent(s) for their first two years in Australia. This also applies to any family members who came with their parent to Australia.

During this period, they must provide:

  • Support
  • Accommodation
  • Financial Assistance.

Assurance of support:

If an individual has also provided an accepted assurance of support for their parent, they are responsible for repaying to the Australian Government any social security payments they might have received during the 10-year period after their arrival in Australia or after they have been granted the visa in Australia, whichever applies. This also applies to any family members who came with their parent to Australia.

In addition to the above-mentioned conditions, there are other factors and criteria to be taken into consideration.

For more information and eligibility requirement please Contact us or complete the Assessment Form and email us.