The Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary) Visa

The Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 884) lets older parents live in Australia for up to two years if they are the parents of an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen who is settled in Australia.

This visa is temporary and cannot be extended or renewed. After the visa is approved, they have two years to apply for a Permanent Contributory Aged Parent visa (subclass 864). In this way, they can spread the costs of the Contributory Aged Parent migration over a number of years.

Most applicants must be sponsored by their child. Their sponsor needs to have lived lawfully in Australia for the two years before the application is lodged.

This visa lets older parents live in Australia for up to two years if they are the parents of an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen who is settled in Australia.

An individual can apply separately for a permanent Contributory Parent visa (subclass 864) to stay in Australia permanently.


An individual can apply for a Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 884) if they:

  • Have a child who is:
    1. An Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen
    2. Lawfully resident in Australia for at least two years (a shorter period can be considered for Australian citizens if there are compelling and compassionate circumstances).
  • Meet the age requirements
  • Have a sponsor
  • Meet the balance-of-family test
  • Meet health and character requirements.

What does this visa allow for:

This is a temporary visa that lets the individual and their family:

  • Live in Australia for two years
  • Work and study in Australia
  • Enroll in Medicare, Australia’s scheme for health-related care and expenses.


The visa application charges are listed in Fees and charges.

The visa application charge for this visa is paid in two installments:

  • Pay the first instalment when you lodge the application.
  • Pay the second instalment when we tell you to. You must pay it for us to grant the visa.

Before application:

Contributory Parent visas are more expensive than most other visas. This is because many families wanted a faster visa process, and they were prepared to pay more towards their family members’ health and welfare costs in Australia. Visa charges cannot be waived or reduced.

An individual also has the option of applying for a Contributory Aged Parent visa (subclass 864), which provides a direct pathway to permanent residence but involves paying all the Contributory Parent costs in one application.

In addition to the above-mentioned conditions, there are other factors and criteria to be taken into consideration.

For more information and eligibility requirement please Contact us or complete the Assessment Form and email us.