Carer Visa

A Carer visa (subclass 836) is a permanent visa for people who want to live in Australia to provide substantial and continuing care or assistance for a relative who either:

  • Has a long-term medical condition that means they cannot look after themselves in practical aspects of daily life, or
  • Needs permanent or long-term practical support to help them care for a member of their family in their household with such a medical condition.

The relative must not be able to reasonably get the care they need from any other relative or from welfare, hospital, nursing or community services in Australia.


An individual might be eligible to get this visa if:

  • They need to stay in Australia to:
    1. Care for a relative in Australia with a long-term medical condition, or
    2. Assist a relative in providing this care to a member of their family un
      it living in their household
  • Their relative (or their family member) has their medical condition assessed by Bupa Medical Visa Services as being one which significantly affects them in attending to the practical aspects of daily life and which will need direct care for at least two years
  • Their relative cannot reasonably get the care they need from any other relative in Australia or from welfare, hospital or nursing community services in Australia
  • They are willing and able to provide substantial and continuing assistance. They should fully understand what kind of care or assistance their relative needs
  • Their relative or their partner can sponsor them
  • They and their family members meet health and character requirements.

The application must be made in Australia and the individual must be in Australia at that time.  They must be in Australia when the visa is granted. This also applies to all of their family members included as applicants for the visa.

What does this visa allow for:

This is a permanent visa. It lets the individual and any of their family members who have been granted this visa:

  • Stay in Australia indefinitely as an Australian permanent resident
  • Apply for Australian citizenship (if they are eligible)
  • Travel to and from Australia as a permanent resident for five years from the date the visa is granted – if they travel after that time, they will need to apply for another visa if they want to return to Australia.

This visa is for someone in Australia who needs one of the following:

  • To care for a relative in Australia with a long-term or permanent medical condition
  • To assist a relative providing this care to a member of their family unit with a long-term or permanent medical condition.

The sponsor:

To apply for this visa, the individual needs a sponsor. This person must be the relative who needs the care or assistance, or their partner. They must sign an undertaking (an agreement) to give support, accommodation and financial assistance (if the individual needs it) for two years after they first arrive in Australia. This agreement includes any family members the individual includes in their application.

An individual cannot apply for this visa if they already hold another visa that has a ‘No further stay’ condition.

The sponsor can be either:

  • The relative who needs care or assistance (either for themselves or a member of the family unit)
  • The spouse or de facto partner of the relative who lives with them.

The sponsor must be 18 years of age or older and one of the following:

The medical condition:

The medical condition must meet the following criteria:

  • The medical condition is long-term or permanent, and as a result the relative (or their family member) needs assistance with the practical aspects of daily life.
  • The need for care or assistance will continue for at least two years.
  • The medical condition has been assessed by Bupa Medical Visa Services.

In addition to the above-mentioned conditions, there are other factors and criteria to be taken into consideration.

For more information and eligibility requirement please Contact us or complete the Assessment Form and email us.