Canada introduces extension for PGWP holders up to 18 months
Mar 17, 2023: Canada introduces extension for PGWP holders up to 18 months
Is your Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) expiring or worse expired? No worries, as Canada’s Immigration Minister Sean Fraser, announced that now PGWP holders with expired or expiring status can now apply for a PGWP extension starting from April 06, 2023.
As result, the new extension on PGWP will help international students to continue to stay in the country for additional 18 months. And also continue to gain work experience towards qualifying for a PR visa.
What is a PGWP?
Canada introduces extension for PGWP holders up to 18 months. But what is a Post Graduate Work Permit? A PGWP helps international students who have recently graduated from a designated learning institution (DLI) in Canada. And wish to temporarily work in Canada instead of returning to their home country.
Earlier Canada did not allow PGWP holds to extend their visa. However, since 2021, and 2022 we are seeing consistent policy updates. As a result, PGWP holders can completely benefit from the new extension on the PGWP (Open Work Permit) for up to 18 months.
Such an effort comes from Canada’s goal to convert international students into permanent residents. Applicants who gain valuable work experience on a PGWP can qualify to apply for a Canada PR visa.
Canadian employers have been facing great issues in getting and retaining skilled workers since 2021. As a result, such a step by IRCC will help them to strongly fill the ever-increasing job vacancies and grow the economy of Canada.
So, if you want to immigrate to Canada as an international student then this pathway is the best for permanent residency in Canada.
When will the new extension policy of 18 months on the PGWP visa begin?
Starting April 06, 2023, IRCC will start rolling out messages to Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) holders to log in and update their information to avail of the new extension of 18 months.
In addition, even if your work permit has expired in 2023 or 2022 despite qualifying for an extension, will get interim work authorisation. Usually, the deadline to apply for the same is 90 days, however, with the new policy in effect you will be able to apply anyways.
IRCC’s take on the value of international students for Canadian Immigration
- International graduates are crucial for Canada’s future permanent residents, according to IRCC.
- Every year, tens of thousands of international graduates successfully transition to permanent residence in Canada.
- In 2021, a record high of over 157,000 international graduates transitioned to permanent residence.
- In 2022, nearly 95,000 international graduates successfully transitioned, which is the second-highest total ever.
- As of the end of 2022, more than 286,000 international graduates held valid post-graduation work permit in Canada.
- About 127,000 post-graduation work permits will expire in 2023.
- However, around 67,000 post-graduation work permit holders have already applied for permanent residency and do not require an extension of their work permit.
- Thus, Canada aims to retain high-skilled talent by extending post-graduation work permits for up to 18 months.
Apply With GVI! Study Visa to PR Visa in NO TIME!
In 2023, international students are planning way in advance for their future. As a result, they are opting for the following mantra for higher chances of success overseas:
- Firstly, apply for a Canada Study Visa.
- This is to get the best education from the top educational institutions in the world.
- Also, the cost of education is affordable in comparison to other first-world countries such as the UK, USA, AUS etc.
- Secondly, post completion of the study program from a DLI in Canada, apply for a Post Graduate Work Permit.
- Besides, the validity of the PGWP depends on the length of your study program.
- Besides, now applicants with expiring or expired PGWP can apply for an extension of up to 18 months.
- Further, gain qualifying work experience to apply for a Canada PR visa.
- For example, Express Entry (EE) System requires applicants to have a minimum of 1 year of work experience to be eligible to apply for a PR visa.
- As a result, you can show that you have 1560 hours of qualifying work experience on a PGWP. And easily qualify to apply for a Canada PR visa via the Express Entry (EE) System.
So, if you wish to get a quick pathway to become a permanent resident as an international student; Contact Us to know more. Free Profile Assessment Available.
Apply With GVI!