Bridging Open Work Permit
The Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP) helps Canada PR applicants to continue working in Canada while a decision on their application is made. Also, the applicant can apply for this work permit if they applied for Canada PR through 1 of the following programs:
- Express Entry System
- Provincial Nominee Program
- Home Child-Care Provider Pilot or Home Support Worker Pilot
- Caring for children class OR caring for people with high medical needs class
- Agri-Food Pilot
Applying for Bridging Open Work Permit
Express Entry System
The following terms are to get a Bridging Open Work Permit if the applicant is applying through 1 of the EE sub-streams such as:
- Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP)
- Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP)
- Canadian Experience Class (CEC)
Who can apply?
To apply, meet the terms such as:
- Are currently living in Canada (except Quebec).
- Have a valid work permit with 4 months of validity remaining or less.
- Must be the main applicant on your PR application.
- Submitted a complete Canada PR application and cleared all assessment checks.
- Have acknowledgement of receipt letter.
- Besides, the applicant gets this in its Express Entry account once IRCC gets their PR application.
Provincial Nominee Program (PNP)
Applying online via Express Entry System
Apply for a BOWP, meet the following terms:
- Are currently living in Canada. But not in Quebec.
- The work permit is about to expire in 4 months or less.
- Are the main applicant on the permanent residence in Canada application.
- As a condition for nomination, the applicant must not have any restriction on employment.
- Submitted a complete PR application and have cleared all assessment checks.
- Have acknowledgement receipt letter.
Apply on paper
Meet the terms such as:
- Living in Canada (not including Quebec).
- Valid work permit will expire in 4 months or less.
- Be the principal applicant on the PR application.
- As a condition of nomination, there is no restriction on occupation.
Home Child-Care Provider Pilot or Home Support Worker Pilot
To apply, meet these terms:
- Are living in Canada. However, must not include in Quebec.
- Must be approved in principle for permanent residence.
- Have 24 months of qualifying work experience.
- Meet 1 of the following terms:
- Have a valid permit.
- Applied to extend the work permit before the original work permit expires.
- Qualify to restore the status and get a work permit.
Caring for children class OR Caring for people with high medical needs class
To apply, meet the following terms:
- Live in Canada except for Quebec.
- Have a valid work permit that is about to expire in 4 months or less.
- Are a principal applicant on the permanent residence application.
- Be approved in principle for PR.
- Submitted a complete application for Canada PR before the programs closed as of June 18, 2019.
To apply meet the following terms:
- Living in Canada but outside Quebec.
- Have a valid work permit that is valid for at least 4 months or less.
- Are the main applicant on the permanent residence application.
- Be approved in principle for permanent residence.