Apply for a Study Permit
To apply for a study permit for Canada, the applicant must be:
- Admitted to a designated learning centre.
- Must have funds to support its education and finances in Canada.
- Have no criminal records. To do so submit police certificates.
- Must have good health.
- Agree to leave Canada when the study permit expires.
In case the applicant lives in China, India, Morocco, Pakistan, the Philippines, Senegal, or Vietnam, they can apply for fast processing of study permit through the Student Direct Stream.
Besides, while studying on a study permit, the applicant must:
- Work towards completing the study program.
- Meet all the terms of the study permit.
- Stop studying when the study permit expires, and
- Agree to leave Canada.
Also, as per the applicant’s case, there might be additional terms related to:
- If the applicant can work in Canada.
- The applicant is allowed to travel within Canada.
- The date when the applicant must stop studying.
Study Permit Exemptions
An applicant may be exempt from getting a study permit for;
Short term studies (6 months or less)
As per new covid-19 instructions, all applicants who fall under this term must:
- Firstly, have a study permit.
- Secondly, be enrolled in a DLI with a Covid readiness plan.
Family or staff of foreign representatives
An applicant may not need a study permit if it is a family member or a staff member for a foreign representative to Canada. But if the applicant’s family members or dependents wish to study in Canada, then they must apply for a study permit for the same.
Registered Indians in Canada
If an applicant has a Registered Indian Status in Canada, even if the applicant is a citizen of another country.
Minor Children in Canada
A minor does not need to apply for a study permit if:
- It is in kindergarten.
- Are refugees or refugee claimant,
- Parents are refugees or refugee claimants, or
- Are in pre-school, primary or secondary school. Also, the minor is currently in Canada with their parents who hold a study or work permit.
Apply for a study visa even when 1 does not need it
A study visa helps a foreign student to do the following:
- To continue studying in Canada (if the applicant continues to meet all terms).
- Work on or off-campus
In case an applicant applied for a study permit without the need of having one then it must give reasons for the same.
If the applicant has a study permit and the terms of the study program changes then the applicant must get a study permit. For example. If an applicant wants to extend their period of studies or do a prerequisite course that adds to the longer study program. In the former case, a work permit must be obtained if the applicant wishes to study for a longer duration of time. Also, if the applicant’s study permit expires it can continue to study while the new application is in processing. Whereas for the latter case, the applicant needs a study permit for the longer course because prerequisite courses do not need the same.
Work on or off-campus
A foreign student who is studying full-time in a DLI can work as a student on-campus or off-campus. Also, if the applicant has such permission, then the terms for the same will mentioned on the study permit.
Besides, if any applicant does not have a study permit, then they must apply for a work permit to work in Canada.
How to Apply?
To apply for a study permit, an applicant can apply from:
- Outside Canada
- Within Canada
- At Port of Entry (POE)
Besides, an applicant can apply online or offline, as per the place from which it is applying. Also, the applicant can follow these basic steps to apply for a study permit.
- Submit a complete application with all needed documents.
- Pay all fees due:
- Application fees
- Third-party fees
- Biometric fees