Child of a Refugee Claimant Student Visa

This Visa is for children whose parents have made claim for refugee or protection status and want to study at a primary or secondary school in New Zealand while their parents claim is being decided. The duration of this visa is up to 4 years.

Visa Eligibility:

  • Must meet character requirements
  • The parents must have made claim for refugee or protection status

What does this visa allow for:

  • Send school-aged children to primary or secondary school in New Zealand.

Things to note:

  • Children of refugee or protection status claimants don’t have to pay an immigration levy.
  • This visa is for school-aged children. Children who want to go to a tertiary education institution, like a university or polytechnic, should apply for a Fee Paying Student Visa.

Visa conditions

If an individual is granted this visa, there are certain conditions that are described below that they must meet:

Study – School-aged children can study at primary or secondary school.

Work – Students studying in year 12 or 13, the last 2 years of secondary school can work up to 20 hours a week during the school year and full-time in the Christmas and New Year holiday period between school years.

  • Students under 18 must have written permission from their school, and parents or legal guardian to work.
  • Students over 18 don’t need permission to work in the summer holidays.

When they have a job in New Zealand, they have to pay tax on their earnings. They’ll need to have a New Zealand bank account and an IRD number to do this.

Students under the age of 16 are not granted work rights. The children aren’t allowed to be self-employed. They have to work as an employee with an employment agreement and not as an independent contractor.

Visa Expiry – The children must leave New Zealand before their visas expire. Visa expiry dates are printed on a visa label, or included in a visa letter.

In addition to the above-mentioned conditions, there are other factors and criteria to be taken into consideration.

For more information and eligibility requirement please Contact us or complete the Assessment Form and email us.