The Contributory Parent (Temporary) Visa

The Contributory Parent (Temporary) Visa (subclass 173) lets parents who are outside Australia live in Australia for up to two years if they are the parents of an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen who is settled in Australia.

This visa is temporary and cannot be extended or renewed. After arriving in Australia, the individual will  have two years to apply for a Contributory Parent visa (subclass 143). In this way, they can spread the costs of the Contributory Parent migration over a number of years.

Most applicants must be sponsored by their child. The sponsor needs to have lived lawfully in Australia for the two years before the application is lodged. The individual can apply separately for a permanent Contributory Parent visa (subclass 143) to stay in Australia permanently.


An individual might be able to get a Contributory Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 173) if they:

  • Have a child who is:
    1. An Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen
    2. Lawfully resident in Australia for at least two years (a shorter period can be considered for Australian citizens if there are compelling and compassionate circumstances)
  • Have a sponsor
  • Meet the balance of family test
  • Meet health and character requirements.

What does this visa allow for: 

This is a temporary visa that allows the individual and their family:

  • Live in Australia for two years
  • Work and study in Australia
  • Enroll in Medicare, Australia’s scheme for health-related care and expenses
  • Travel to and from Australia for two years from the date the visa is granted.

Before application:

Contributory Parent visas are more expensive than most other visas. This is because many families wanted a faster visa process, and they were prepared to pay more towards their family members’ health and welfare costs in Australia. Visa charges cannot be waived or reduced.

An individual also has the option of applying for a Contributory Parent visa (subclass 143), which provides a direct pathway to permanent residence but involves paying all the Contributory Parent costs in one application.


The visa application charges are listed in Fees and charges.

The application charge for this visa is paid in two installments:

  • Pay the first installment when lodging the application.
  • The second installment charge is for each person included in the application. The individual will be informed about when they require paying the second installment.

The Sponsor:

An individual must be sponsored by an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen. The sponsor needs to have been living lawfully in Australia for at least two years before they apply for this visa. For most applicants, the child or the child’s spouse or de facto partner will need to sponsor them.

If the child is younger than 18 years of age they can be sponsored by:

  • The child’s spouse, if the spouse has turned 18 and is a settled Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen
  • A relative or guardian of the child
  • A relative or guardian of the child’s spouse, if the spouse has not turned 18 and is a settled Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen
  • A community organisation.

Sponsor obligations:

As a sponsor, an individual must give a written undertaking to provide support for their parent for their first two years of residency in Australia. This also applies to any accompanying dependent family members.

During this period, they must provide:

  • Support
  • Accommodation
  • Financial assistance.

In addition to the above-mentioned conditions, there are other factors and criteria to be taken into consideration.

For more information and eligibility requirement please Contact us or complete the Assessment Form and email us.