The Aged Parent Visa

The Aged Parent visa (subclass 804) lets older parents live permanently in Australia if they are the parents of an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen who is settled in Australia.

Most applicants must be sponsored by their child. Their sponsor needs to have lived lawfully in Australia for the two years before the application is lodged.

There can be long waiting times of up to 30 years before this visa is approved.


An individual might be able to get an Aged Parent visa (subclass 804) if they:

  • Have a child who is a settled Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen
  • Meet the age requirements
  • Meet the balance-of-family test
  • Meet health and character requirements
  • Have a sponsor who is a settled Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen.

What this visa allows for: 

This permanent residence visa allows the individual and any of their family members who have also been granted this visa:

  • Stay in Australia indefinitely
  • Work and study in Australia
  • Enroll in Medicare, Australia’s scheme for health-related care and expenses
  • Apply for Australian citizenship(if they are eligible)
  • Sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
  • Travel to and from Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted (after that time, they will need a resident return visa or another visa to return to Australia).


The visa application charges are listed in Fees and charges.

The visa application charge for this visa is paid in two instalments:

  • Pay the first installment when the application is lodged.
  • Pay the second installment when told to. It must be paid for the visa to be granted.

Before application

There is significant demand for this visa and places are limited. An individual could wait up to 30 years to have this visa granted.

Instead of waiting, an individual could consider a Contributory Aged Parent visa, which is usually finalised in less than two years:

If an individual applies for a Contributory Parent visa, they will pay a higher application charge. A longer assurance of support with a larger bond would also be required before they could be granted a Contributory Aged Parent visa (subclass 864). The higher charges offset some costs to the community, such as the costs of health and welfare services.

In addition to the above-mentioned conditions, there are other factors and criteria to be taken into consideration.

For more information and eligibility requirement please Contact us or complete the Assessment Form and email us.